1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking advice for amp purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ek8455, May 22, 2020 at 11:36 AM.

Tags:
  1. ek8455

ek8455

Friday
    I'm looking at getting myself a new amp head for live performances. I play in a metal band with two guitarists, so I have a very much "in the pocket" role. Looking for something up to £400 that would be good for this setting, but I am totally clueless about gear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Guitalia, Mr Cheese and BassNugget like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    What gear do you have now and what gear are your guitarists using?

BOOG and Stumbo like this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    The almighty Google is available to help you with your amp quest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  5. ek8455

ek8455

Friday
    I play a Fender P and the Guitarists are using PRS/mesa boogie and Jackson/Blackstar

6. ek8455

ek8455

Friday
  7. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    What AMP do you use now?

How many speakers are the guitar rigs using, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12....?

We would be able to make better suggestions if we knew what ki d of firepower you need.

AudioTaper likes this.
  8. ek8455

ek8455

Friday
    My bad, I'm only just getting into actually paying attention to my gear. better late than never I guess.

Until now I generally just DI to the PA, been saving for my own amp for a while. 2x12 speakers on the guitars

9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Ok.

Probably looking at least 500 watt into 610 or 810, 4 ohm.

Or a pair of 8 ohm 410.

You can go smaller/lighter but the budget might not work for that.

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. ek8455

ek8455

Friday
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into stuff based on what you've recommended

11. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Power output is a factor but not THE determining one. A good metric to keep in mind, and is subjective, is at least 3 times the power of the combined guitar power through about 1 1/2 to 2 times the speaker area. So if say your guys each play a 50 watt 2x12, youd likely need about 300 watts and something like a 410 or a couple of 15s. There are of course exceptions.

Moving a lot of cones is the easiest way to get louder, but make sure you understand how the ohm ratings all work.

Amps are easy to get for kinda cheap, but good cabs are pretty darn important. I would say go for the best capable cab or pair you can afford. Crunch up moving forward and pick up as much power in whatever amp with an additional 200 or so bucks.

My thoughts.

The Fender Rumble 500c gets some love around these parts too, so stop in to the Rumble fan club thread, too. It might be a solution.

Ggaa likes this.
  12. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Hartke tx600

BOOG and mikewalker like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Take a look at Mesa D800 or D800+ for a lot of punch for the money. They are built well and the on-board HPF is going to give you a lot more "go" before your speakers crack.

BOOG, AudioTaper and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  14. You need cabinet to go with or are you looking for a combo?

15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    if it's metal, you will be needing a lot of volume to keep up and stay audible with 2 guitarists, even on 2x12"s

i say find a cheap ampeg fridge, which is pretty easy to do these days. then find a nice GK RB series. 400, 700, 800...whatever you can find in your budget. that should do well. if you push it, you get grind and that makes it all the better. let the sea of cones do the work. add watts to taste.

PotsdamBass8 and RumbleBot like this.
  16. Gallien Krueger heads are loud and punchy as hell. Could probably find a 400RB or 800RB in that price range.

PotsdamBass8 and scuzzy like this.
  17. Adjectives

Adjectives Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Seattle, Wa
    I play out of an Ampeg BA-210 v3 combo. By itself it's pretty loud, but I have it paired with a PF210 extension cab. Takes it from 300-450w. Plus the combo has a DI out for bigger venues(or PA as well?). Get the combo now for less than 400 used, and add the extension later! GL

18. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

A used TC BH550 or 800, Peavey MiniMega, G-K MB 500 And a 2x12 Cab

19. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I was going to suggest a GK 800rb. With a P bass and enough speakers, it will sound killer without much or any tweaking. It’s a really foolproof combination. Plus the fact that they fit in your budget.

RumbleBot likes this.
  20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Welcome to talkbass!

Your budget may need to change. You will need ~500 watts @ 4 ohms and as much speaker capability as you can afford. IMHO, used gear is going to give you more performance for your pennies. £400 is not a lot. A good used head will eat up most of that.

So double your budget if you want a cabinet to keep up with a used 500 watt head. One way to approach it is to get one cabinet to start and add a second matching cabinet when funds permit. The down side is that initial configuration may not really adequate, so you will have to get your band to balance you, rather than the normal situation, where drummer and guitars control the overall volume level.

BOOG likes this.