seeking advice (on amp shopping)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I'm going to finally be in the market for a bass rig very soon. I have some ideas about what I want, but I don’t know too much about buying amps (I bought the one I own before I started playing and it's the only one I've ever bought) I currently have an 80 watt 15" Peavy combo. Once I get a little more power I hope to be more active in playing with others. I don't currently have any gigs, but I want to get an amp that will keep up with a drummer and a guitar or two and be adequate to play gigs in small clubs. I suspect that the Peavy bam 210 might be a good fit for me, but the price (new) is a little more than I'd hoped to pay. I saw a GK (backline series) 210 combo that had 175 watts - I though that might be adequate - it was a lot cheaper than the Peavy (lower watt too…) I don't mind buying used, but I prefer not to buy online so I may be stuck choosing from what I can find used locally or buying new. I think that I'd be happy with either a 210 combo or a head and 210 cab - in either case I'd like the flexibility of having the option to later add a 15" or 18" extension cab. I don't use many effects and don't plan on starting soon. I have a chorus and an OD pedal right now which is more than I need for effects, so I really won't be swayed by an amp that offers a lot of effects built in. I would like something with compression built in. Other features that would be nice to have built into my rig would be a tuner and a mute switch. Price is very much a consideration, but so is quality and sound. If it is more cost effective to get an amp set up that doesn't have everything I want and then add separate components (such as compression or tuner) then I'll go that route. I play mostly rock covers, but a lot of other stuff too. I hope to find something that will work for me in the $400 to $1100 range. If anybody has any suggestions at all, specific products that might fit my needs, general tips on finding gear to buy, hard and fast rules on minimum wattage requirements, any other features that I might look into adding to my wish list, or anything at all, please post it. Thanks for reading.
  2. Ampeg BA115HP 220 of excellence... between 400-1000, thats wat i would get (if i had the money)
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Here is what I've been looking at this morning. A Peavy Max 450 bass head (new at Musicians Friend - $438.99) and Avatar speaker cabs. (B210 - $229 + $29 shipping) (B115H - $269 + $42) I figure I could buy the head and the 210 cab first and add the 115 later (to soften the blow) I'd get both cabs in the 4 ohm configuration so that I could run the 210 cab alone - 300W at 4 ohms or the 210 and the 115 both - 450W at 2 ohms. (is that right?) This seems like it would be more than enough power for me and at a fairly good price. (head & 210 = $698 -- head, 210 &115 = $1008) Would this be a descent rig, or is this the 'suckers bet'. Anybody have any experience with this head?
  4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yorkville XS400 has everything you want and then some. Compressor, tuner mute, footswitchable tube overdrive and on and on. Well within your budget range too. I think they run somewhere around the $800US range for the 1x15" combo, but I am sure someone in the US can give an exact number there.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks for the tip - I'm looking at some Yorkville products online. I'm interested in a couple of their products. The BassMaster XM200T Bass Combo might fit my needs. It's a 200 watt 210 combo w/ piezo tweeter and an extension out. I don't know if it has a compresser, I do like the $520 price tag. Does anybody know how many watts this would run at with an extension cab? (I'd probably never really need one, just curious)
  6. I think it's actually 200 watts with the extension cab, and 150 without.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Either way, that yorkville is one LOUD assed combo.
  8. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    If you're willing to spend up to $1100 I would go the head and cab route. You can find great deals on this site and end up with a pretty good set up for under that, plus you have the ability to mix and match stuff later to better suit your position (more room to grow). That's just my thoughts on that as it's how it has worked out best for me through the years. Hope I helped.
  9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I would go to BASS NW in Seattle. The best bass only store in the NW. You can then try all the amps before laying out any cash. Have you thought about using your Peavey 15 for an extension speaker with your new amp and cab? They have an extensive selection of both new and used.
  10. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you like the 210 config I would recommend a GK 400RB (used) and the Avatar B210 you mentioned. I used to own the Max 450 head (it was called the Nitrobass at the time) and it served me well for years (2). It tends to be a bit sterile, but sounded fine with a SABDDI. Loud!

The GK head can be picked up on e-bay for less than $200 and I prefer it's sound to the Peavey and it's 25 lbs lighter. I know what you said about buying on line, but the old GKs are built like tanks. The GK 400 RB is a loud 200 watts or for about $350 you can find an old 800RB.

Good luck