1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeking advice on my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hux-plays-bass, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hux-plays-bass

Hux-plays-bass Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Ponca City Oklahoma
    I resently tried out a tobias killer b bass(5-string) for 1625.99, it seemed fine, but it felt strange. I have heard many horrible things about Tobias bass's after Gibson took over..I am also looking at a Spector USA NS-5H2-EX Buckeye Burl Top 5-String Bass Guitar for 2999.99. what would you guys recomend

2. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Choice of only these two then get the Spector. If you're going for a secific sound for a certain type of music you need to elaborate a little more about that so opinions can be a little more helpful.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats almost a 2x increase in price. :eyebrow:

4. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Math major?

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd consider getting a Kinal bass. Mike builds solid instruments. You can get one pretty custom for around the same price as the Spector.

www.kinal.com

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    For $3000 there are an absolute ton of possibilities out there. What are you looking for?

7. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    How did you guess? :atoz:

I was just simply stating that it is a 2x increase in price... because it is! Usually thats a big deal in price. If price differences dont matter, I think he should buy a CV Pbass, a Fodera VW Monarch, and a Ken Smith!

Why not?

8. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    And have enough left over to buy food..:meh:

9. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Prices dont matter. Remember? :D

10. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    Email Mike and tell him you want a custom 535 and then if you are not totally satisfied with it then email me and tell me how you are sending it to me as a gift. After all that is done then consider some other guitars. But seriously email Michael and he will hook you up and if he can't get what you want then he'll probably know someone or some secret knowledge that will help.

11. Hux-plays-bass

Hux-plays-bass Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Ponca City Oklahoma
    Well, anything over 3000 would too much, i like to play pretty much all kinds of music. I am in a jazz band, a Progressive Metal band. I have heard alot about spectors and alot of the tones i like the most from proffesional bass players play spector... i don't really have acsess to any bass retailers to try some out, where i tried the tobias was very far away.

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    TB Classifieds are your friend. You can get a lot more bass used for that money. Heck a Fodera would only run you another $1000.

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If the bass feels strange, don't buy it! That is probably the best piece of advice I can give you!

Make a list of the specs of your basses you already have (Bolt-on, Neck-Thru, Fretboard wood, color, # of strings, scale length and so on). Figure out what you like or don't like then try out basses with different specs and see if you like those. When you try out other basses, don't let the price tag stop you from trying it. You may realize a feature on a $3000 bass is on a much cheaper bass and the cheaper bass sounds just as good.

14. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I.E, SX and Fender. :rollno: