1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking advice on routing a body for a pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rob22315, Oct 25, 2013.

1. The pickups on my Ibby BTB675 have a design flaw (details not relevant but I can provide if interested). I want to replace them with some Barts but the new Bart P2s are slightly wider (3mm) and slightly shorter (18mm or so) than the original pickups. The new pickups will work with the 19mm string spacing on the 675 even though they are shorter. For who knows what reason (cost obviously, it's a business), Ibanez put 6 string split coil pickups on a 5 string bass.

Should I rout the cavity or sand down the pickups (they're epoxy potted) or some combination of both? I already have a router and a good ball bearing bit but haven't used it for something like this and am concerned about chipping the existing top wood.

I plan on filling the gap at either end with some black epoxy putty. I will paint the fill if it ends up not being a good match. I'm not worried about trying to get the putty to look like wood - it really needs to look like matte black plastic to match the pickups.

The pickups arrive today, the epoxy putty should arrive tomorrow so this looks like it will be my weekend project.

Suggestions welcome.

2. I spoke to my woodworker neighbor this morning. He suggested using a chisel to carve out the small amount of wood I needed rather than use a router. That sounds like it might be less prone to taking the top wood off the body.

3. Never mind, it took all of 15 minutes with a chisel to take off 3mm of wood along one side of each cavity.

4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Good call. Got pictures?

5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Looks good!