Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeking Advice Powering Hartke 215XL + 410XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnprophet, Jul 6, 2005.

1. johnprophet

johnprophet

Jul 6, 2005
    Ok.

I've owned these cabinets for almost 10 years and have lovingly cared for them.... the ozite is a little worse for wear, but the cabs and drivers themselves are fine.

I originally bought these with the Hartke 5000 series head (Biamp)

My 5000 is dying and I need to replace it *ASAP* but I don't have a lot of money. I'm looking for the best solution for under or around $500.

I will be purchasing a Line 6 Bass Pro or XT Pro in conjunction with or soon after this amp purchase, so please take that into consideration with your answers.

The 410XL cab is rated at 400 watts @ 8 ohms and I'm pretty sure the 215XL cab is something similar (500 watts maybe) at 4 ohms.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    Good cab combo.

Before you do anything. if you want to use your cabs together you need something that bi-amps or seperate power amps. your 410 is 8 hohms and your 2x15 is 4 ohms. (combination@ 2.6 ohms). You either need to get a head that can drop to 2 ohms, or a head that has two power amps. This is important or you will damage a head that only drops to 4 ohms.

If you like the sound you are getting. try to find a hartke 7000 before they are gone or try the carvin 1000 for abi-amping because both of these have seperate power amps and one can run at 8ohms and one can run at 4ohms.

If not just get a head that can go all the way to 2ohms (SVT classic, Eden, etc..)

MM

3. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    GK800 RB!! will power them nicely :D

4. +1 for the Hartke 7000

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Try getting a PLX amp for power and use your Line6 for preamp...

Or... an amp head like a Markbass and use each cab seperately, for different occasions?

Murphy

6. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Wow talk about memories. I used that set up for years with my HA7000 and it was great. The 215XL(which is 400w @4ohms) is one of the best cabs for biamping. I later sold the rig to a friend of mine but not my HA7000. He used a GK800RB and it was incredible. It was punchier than the 7000 but not as clean so it was a SVT kind of tone. Either head is great and both can be used to biamp. Happy hunting.

7. kustom groovebass 1200h fits the bill all the way around!

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    what's dying in your 5000? you could probably get it fixed pretty cheap--get a new 5000 for $500 or get an ebay 5000 or 7000 for $500 unless you're sick of the hartke head and want something different. That rig in it's prime must be thunderous! i have a 5000 w/ an ampeg pr1528he (1x15, 2x8) and it rattles the roof