Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeking advice re. 5 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBottom, Aug 30, 2000.

1. BigBottom

BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    My first post, this is a great forum. I've been playing 4 string fretless for a while, and I can't believe how much more expressive it is than the fretted bass...I want to make the leap to a 5 string, and I'm leaning toward a Music Man...any opinions?

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Regarding going to a Musicman, I can't advise you -- fine basses, but I don't have one and have only played a few. On jumping to five-string, I made the jump about nine years ago. After years of fiddling with drop-tunings, etc., I just couldn't get comfortable; nothing felt right. Then I picked up a moderately priced Ibanez five and everything fell into place. Not only do I like the additional range, but also the flexibility it allows you in fingerings. I've since moved up to an active five (a Carvin), which I've been very happy with. Of course, that's my experience -- your mileage may vary. You'll never know til you take one for a spin. Good luck and have fun.

In the immortal words of Tom Hamilton: I used to think five-strings were for eggheads. Now I think six-strings are for eggheads. ;)

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Lemme give you some John Turner Advice:)D)

If you are going to take a leap, take a huge leap from 4 to 6 or 4-7. John Turner leaped from 4 to 7 and never went back :)

John turner should be posting here any minute heheh :D

DM

PS: Sorry JT :D

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, gotta love the fretless 5's. I do! Ive got one for you, basically a souped up musicman. My Tobias Growler has a quad coil mm pickup, with a TON more tonal options that a MusicMan. And cheaper. Granadillo fretboard with a maple/bubinga(dark purpleheart possibly)/maple assymetrical neck. Much better looking than a MusicMan, cheaper, and well, sounds much better? $900, for starters...or best offer!! Interested? :) Its like the ultimate musicman! Plus it has a recently planed and oiled fretboard! "Mwah" factor is INCREDIBLE!

5. BigBottom

BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    I appreciate the offer MegaAngus...if we weren't on opposite coasts (I'm in New York) I'd be interested in checking it out.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe...damn. Well, you could go try one somewhere...im sure somewhere has one. I dont see why opposite coasts does anything!

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    BigBottom: what part of NY? Im in Northern NJ :) Close to NYC. :)

DM

8. BigBottom

BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    I live in Central Jersey (Princeton), work in NYC, always post from work, because I can't get near the computer at home (too much competition from kids, wife, etc.)

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    thats coool!! maybe we can meet up and u can show me how to play bass haha :D

DM

I freaking want lessons :~

10. BigBottom

BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    Sorry DarkMazda...a teacher I am not!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've heard a lot of good things about MM fretless basses. I just went fretless this year with a Pedulla ThunderBolt 5. Active TBT electronics, AAA flame top, Thomastik jazz flats. This bass far surpassed all my expectations tonally. It's not quite on the same level as the Lakland as far as fit and finish though.