Seeking an inspired teacher in Phoenix, AZ - Do you know one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Clap, Oct 26, 2004.

1. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Now that I have time for lessons, I'd like to find a teacher to improve my bass-playing as a whole. I'd like a guided introduction to different styles of play, as I've mainly had experience with rock, and I'm especially interested in Jazz. As I understand, Ed Freidland (sp?) lives in Tucson, but that's too lengthy of a commute, so if anyone can recommend a solid teacher in the Phoenix/Tempe area, I'd appreciate it very much.
  2. You beat me by about a month with this post. I'm planning on starting up lessons in the Phoenix area after the first of the year, and was gonna ask the same advice.

If you find someone how about posting how it worked out? Good or bad, the experience could be helpful- not only to me :D , but to anyone else looking for a teacher. has a list of instructors, some here local, and I have another site (hopefully) saved to favorites on my home computer that'll add to the thread if you like.

Do you know what you're looking for in a teacher? By that I don't mean what they teach, rather how they approach teaching/learning. I'm curious since I'm not sure what to look for in a instructor, and knowing what others are looking for could give me a better idea of what's good and bad.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, it just looks like we're heading down the same road and I thought we may be able to help each out.

Sorry I couldn't give you any real sources to check out. Good luck with your search!

3. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    check out the bass place in scottsdale. It' on Scottsdale Road just north of the 202 loop.

They have a few good teachers. In the mid 90's I took lessons from Ray Riendeau there, and he's extremely talented. He's known for the really busy triplet slap licks that some people label wanking but Ray's a total pro. He can play anything in any style. Not too sure what he's up to, his web site is gone and I heard he was going through something but I have no idea what. Regardless, anything you need bass related can be found at the Bass Place.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Andy West (ex of Dixie Dregs) is somewhere around that area. Last I heard he was working as a communications engineer at Motorola. He has a web site with his contact info on it, I'm sure he could help steer you in the right direction.