1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeking good amp technician in Austin, TX for '73 Ampeg V4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoss, Aug 27, 2007.

1. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Hey guys.

I've never had to bring a tube amp in for servicing, much less a vintage one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable tech in Austin, TX? I'd just like to have my newly arrived '73 Ampeg V4 checked out. It looks to be in great shape, all USA tubes still residing, but you never know.

Thanks!

2. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Last time I was in Austin and needed amp repair, I went to Strait Music and they sorted it out. With Brook Mays gone, that's where I would go with any amp problem.

3. Russ Frost

Russ Frost

Aug 30, 2006
    Texas!
    You might try Bass Emporium on Anderson Lane

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    John or Chuck at Bass Emporium could give you a reference. There are a couple places in town. Tube Doctor on Congress, Musicmakers, and Tonecraft Amp Repair come to mind.

5. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Austin Vintage Guitars off of Lamar is a good place for stuff like that.

6. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for the replies folks. I went to Tonecraft, but it didn't work out (a thread on that pending), so I ended up taking it to Bill Ussery at Austin Tone Lab. Happy so far. Bill was very knowledgable, easy to talk to, and willing to explain everything to me (being a first time owner of a vintage tube amp). Not to mention he was willing to let me bring the thing by on an off day.

http://www.austintonelab.com