1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking help from the MarkBass mob...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humbucked, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    so, I have an Ampeg 410HLF (4 x 10" + horn loaded cab)which is great... but... god it is heavy :meh:.

I am thinking about a MarkBass combo as a more portable rig, which I can connect to the Ampeg 410HLF when a wall of sound is needed... but which MarkBass combo???

Markbass CMD 121p- I am led to believe the single 12'' has loads of ooomph...

Markbass CMD 102p- This sounds good, but can 2 x 10"s really cut it? Plus, I already have 4 x 10"s in the Ampeg...

Markbass CMD 151p- This sounds huge on its own, right? Coupled to 4 x 10"s and it will be all I could ever need, yes?

oh, yeah... the impedance.... :rollno:

help please

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I have the 102p It's sounds alot bigger than you'd think it would.
    10" speakers are FTW.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The hlf cab is a 4 ohm cab, the markbass combos require an 8 ohm extension to lower the total impedance to 4 ohms.

If you want to keep the hlf, you'd need to get an LMII head and just use the hlf by itself, otherwise you'll be below it's 4 ohm minimum.

4. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    Happy to help... the CMD 102P (2x10) is the loudest of these, and most aggressive in a live situation. The Mini CMD 121P is incredible for its size but not as versatile for live use unless you add an extension cabinet. The CMD 151P is more old-school sounding, has more of a low-mid emphasis, not more lows than the CMD 102P.
    Any of these combos can be connected to an 8 ohm extension cabinet to draw the full 500W from the combo!
    The CMD 102P stacks with any of our Standard or Traveler cabinets (2x10, 1x15, 1x12)... the perfect extension for the Mini CMD 121P is the Traveler 121... and we go into production next month for the New York 151, a 1x15" cab that stacks perfectly with the CMD 151P.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info!
    Peter

5. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    Thank you for those posts... I read here that the LMII head in the MarkBass combos can be taken out after unscrewing, although I would think this is not what MarkBass had in mind....

6. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    Peter Murray, thank you!

7. Your Ampeg 410, to my ear, is very big in the low end and kind of dark sounding in its inherent tone. That is very much similar to how most describe the larger, front ported Markbass 410 cab. If you want to keep the oomph of your big 410 without the weight, an LMII and that 4ohm, larger Markbass 410 would do the trick. My guess is, just as much oomph, half the weight!

Edit: I looked it up... Standard 104HF

8. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    the Ampeg 4 x 10 is horn loaded (the 410HLF) but yes, it is known to be bassy...

9. +1, if by 'horn loaded' you mean it has a tweeter. That cab seems to have a big hole between the mid mids and the start of the tweeter frequency, which to my ear gives it a rather dark, chewy sort of tone. That is at least somewhat similar to the MB 410 I mentioned, so that might be worth a look, especially if you can get a blow-out deal on one at a Guitar Center.

The MB 'Classic 410) (sealed cab with tweeter) is supposed to sound beautiful, but I have not had the pleasure of trying one. That also might be an option for you.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Chewy? LOL! I think I will start using that term my own self. I love it. Now if only I knew what it means ;)

11. Lot's of high bass/low mids, not much else:smug: Chewy!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ah, like a Tootsie Roll or taffy that gets stuck in your mouth...I get it now!

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    There's a 121H as well, like the 121P but with a bigger box = more low end and a better tweeter = happy eardrums.

14. :D I agree, a bit of a silly term, but it does seem to fit that sort of tone profile with a lot going on in that one particular high bass/low mid area. It makes your playing feel a bit like walking through tar on a hot day... chewy:p

15. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Peter,

In a side-by-side comparison, how do you personally feel the CMD 102P stacks up against the CMD 121H as stand-alone units for small-to-mid rooms?

I play fretless in small jazz combos & also occasionally back up an acoustic guitarist or two - that sort of thing.

I have a CMD 102P which I like a LOT - but when I bought it GC didn't yet offer the CMD 121H, so I didn't get to compare them side-by-side...

Muchas Gracias!!

16. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    The CMD102P is more aggressive, better with a band. The CMD 121H sounds great, maybe "better", but doesn't cut as well at high volumes. IMO. In your application the CMD 121H might be really nice.

17. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I have the 210 combo and with a loud drummer and two loud guitarists you cant really hear me, at all.

With the 4x10 though, you'll be heard. That amp can drive 6x10 just fine.

18. I use the LMII with an Ampeg 4 x 10. Amazing sound! Do NOT change this setup. My cab is 8 ohm so i am only getting about 325 Watts outta the amp and i have NEVER needed an extension or turned the amp above half-way. That said, i only compete against a guitartist and two horn players. Can't you just sack one of the guitartists :)

19. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Thanks, Peter - much appreciated!!

20. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Is the New York 151 not yet available in the states?