1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking infinite wisdom..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyoshim, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Looking for warm and punch tone from my rig. I am pretty much set on Avatar 410 for cab. I play Fender american deluxe 5 string bass (2002).

Now what should I get (amp)???

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If it's old school punch and tone you want I advise you to start checking out amp heads that are all tube. You have a lot of options as far as selection goes these days. I'm a fan of the venerable Ampeg SVT; but Peavey and Traynor have affordable tube heads that are awful nice for the money, or you can go with Mesa Boogie too. Sadowsky offers a botique all tube head as well. I've only mentioned a few, but it sounds like you may be wanting some good old tube tone mojo.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Warm and punchy. Two very subjective words, which means my ear and yours will probably differ.

That's like asking for something spicy for dinner and sweet for dessert. Tastes differ.

Listen for yourself and decide; it's your ear and your money.

4. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Like Rick said, it is very subject and you should definitely check things out with your own axe and your own ears. IMHO, you might want to check out the new Acoustic B200H. It's "the one" that absolutley reached out and grabbed me in a "70's Tonal Flashback moment" kinda way. I stopped looking after that and put money down the next day. Your local GC should have them, if not, they should get more in soon. They are supposed to have a big brother B600H out in GC stores around Halloween :eek:!

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Your budget and personal tastes are going to have a lot to do with this.

My favorites so far: Markbass LMII, Ampeg V4BH
    I wouldn't mind checking out: Eden WT series, GK Fusion 550, Genz Benz (Neopak 3.5, Shuttle 6.0 or GBE 750)

6. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    I like ss amps for pure power to weight ratio, a tube or two injected into the signal path before the amp can warm things up.

7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Go with a LMII. A great little amp and a good price too.

8. hyoshim

hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the inputs. I had GK 700RB combo (115) that I liked. But that was my experience and I wanted to hear your experiences.