Seeking info on Ibanez "John Alderete" P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by landau roof, Jun 11, 2021.

1. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    A friend just got a hold of this and asked if I know anything about it. I don't, and searching online has yielded absolutely nothing as yet. So I'm consulting you fine folks.

He said the pickup route appears to be factory dual-purpose P or J. Serial on the neck plate is 880542. Body looks similar to an '80s Roadstar but the horns don't seem to have the same blockiness. Haven't seen it in person.

Attached Files:

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I don't know anything about the bass itself, but I believe that Juan Alderete sometimes used to go by the name "John Alderete." Seems possible that this could be something Ibanez put together for him, maybe back in the days of Racer X.

sloppy_phil, Tbone76 and son_of_mogh like this.
  3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Super weird, a friend had one back in around 1987 or 1988 and it was identical to the one in the poster below, but red and with a plain maple headstock. It was a PJ with no pickguard.

And yes, that's a John Alderete signature bass, his first one when he was with Racer X. For a long time now, he's been known as Juan Alderete.

13563358_10100463997003853_1482917741_n_zps1vsrgihz.jpg

LordHar, Tbone76 and son_of_mogh like this.
  4. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    ^Hot.

Thanks for the replies, guys. With such little info out there it would make sense that maybe this was a prototype sig model or some such thing.

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Hair'um, scare'um, wow check out the hair do's.

Tbone76 and seedokebass like this.
  6. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Interesting! I was wondering if the neck was maybe put on a different body since the bridge is different from the yellow bass in the ad.

Or it could be a prototype? I'm not sure how he's doing these days since he was in that bike accident and was in a coma. Maybe he could be contacted via Facebook/Instagram?

7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    the yellow bass looks like a custom based on the PL4040
    6bdddae7-9a63-456f-ad2d-834d8604d0b8-jpeg.jpg

8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Route looks anything but factory to me. But, looks like a solid body

9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Serial number indicates 1988.

The bass looks a bit like an RB650 but with an X Series neck, modded with a J route where the P was, and a replacement pick guard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I had to guess I would say that neck came on a different bass.

ajkula66 and seedokebass like this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I truly despise FB, but, here ya go- ;)

Juan Alderete

Here's a pic from June 9.

ja.jpg

5962_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=oemawo3B7WAAX_rpDOd&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

GregC likes this.
  12. That pick guard screams roadstar to me...
    could be someone’s ibanez parts beast??

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I agree it looks like an Ibanez guard, but the points at the ends/edges are different. I think it could be a simplified replacement.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F20%2Fc1%2F9d%2F20c19d2bc94865737ff90b9c73dd0279.jpg

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I was thinking it could be a factory-modded RB808.
    upload_2021-6-12_12-17-53.jpeg

15. I thought that about this one but its stock... 86
    A2D60A01-3AC8-4027-8EF1-EFA43D583D11.jpeg

wraub likes this.
  16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Well... that is interesting.
    Thanks.

Dubious Aa likes this.
  17. stratelespaul

stratelespaul

Jun 12, 2021
    Hello all,
    I'm the owner of the instrument in question.
    More detailed pics available upon request.
    It seems all info previously given shows basses with the output jack on the pickguard.
    This one has the output jack on the body and the pickguard is definitely stock.

Thanks landau roof

shojii, landau roof and Dubious Aa like this.
  18. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Damn, well I kinda have my own mystery now. Here's my Roadstar bass. I thought it was all original, but the pickguard looks different than these and there's an extra screw in it. I've oddly never noticed this and I'm usually very observant of these type things.

Attached Files:

wraub likes this.
  19. Yah, that one looks a bit odd but that neck looks great in that pic!
    I usually see them with way more wear.
    Have you ever taken that pick guard off? Id be curious if there are un used screw holes hiding under it.

landau roof likes this.
  20. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Thanks! It's in great shape. Got it from a friend in like 2012-13 who said it was his brothers. Pretty sure I would have taken the pickguard off when I cleaned it up and changed strings at that time, but I don't recall. Seems that would mean that I probably did and there was nothing interesting under there. I've barely played it since then. I'll pull the pg and post pics in the next day or two.

I was going through my strings container a few months ago and came across an empty GHS pressurewound pack. Tried to remember where those ended up and now at least that mystery is solved.

Dubious Aa likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021