Seeking Infor on Kohr Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Classical Bass, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    I am getting ready to buy a bass! Looking at a Kohr K 52 (czheck hybrid) and a fully carved one from China K65. Does anybody out there have experience with either of these!

2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That is a brand name distributed by howard Core Co.
  3. Run a search of the basses forum and you should find numerous references to Kohr or Core. I believe they are made by the same outfit that makes Christopher basses.

I have a friend who has a laminated Kohr and it is a very good instrument for the money--superior to similarly priced Engehardts. Good tone, very playable, well built.

Last year, I had an opportunity to play a hybrid one for about an hour in a Nashville shop. Beside the Kohr was a fully carved Wilfer retailing for about $7K more. To me ear, the Kohr had a clearer tone. Of course, give both basses a few years to mature and that could be reversed.
  4. These are Christopher basses imported by Howard Steve and Z say.....
  5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Not all Kohr basses are relabelled Christophers... Core sources from a number of shops, including a some in Europe, relabelling those as well. I'm not sure who makes their Czech basses, but there's a possibility it's Strunal/Amati.