1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeking Infor on Kohr Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Classical Bass, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    I am getting ready to buy a bass! Looking at a Kohr K 52 (czheck hybrid) and a fully carved one from China K65. Does anybody out there have experience with either of these!

Thanks!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That is a brand name distributed by howard Core Co.

3. Run a search of the basses forum and you should find numerous references to Kohr or Core. I believe they are made by the same outfit that makes Christopher basses.

I have a friend who has a laminated Kohr and it is a very good instrument for the money--superior to similarly priced Engehardts. Good tone, very playable, well built.

Last year, I had an opportunity to play a hybrid one for about an hour in a Nashville shop. Beside the Kohr was a fully carved Wilfer retailing for about $7K more. To me ear, the Kohr had a clearer tone. Of course, give both basses a few years to mature and that could be reversed.

4. These are Christopher basses imported by Howard Core...as Steve and Z say.....

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Not all Kohr basses are relabelled Christophers... Core sources from a number of shops, including a some in Europe, relabelling those as well. I'm not sure who makes their Czech basses, but there's a possibility it's Strunal/Amati.

6. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    thanks for the info!