Seeking iPad and software recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by CallMeAl, Aug 22, 2019.

1. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    considering entering the digital age and getting a tablet for music. Leaning iPad because I already use MacBook and iPhone. This is for music only, so other features are a non issue.

What tablets are people using? New, used, refurbished? Screen size?

Software for charts? I’ve seen songbook and onsong mentioned, I think. Features I want for sure are transposition and setlist generator (with the swipe to next song ability)

I suppose I might use it for play along too. All I can really think of at this point is a program that will transpose songs (mp3s) to other keys. Amazing slow downer?

TIA!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Bias FX.

Oh wait, that wasn’t the question. Never mind. :woot:

Subbed anyways...

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  3. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Refurb ipad, large screen, use when performing. Software: iReal Pro (great for finding, editing, and storing charts), Drumgenius (great for practice), BandHelper (great for performing musicians), and Anytune Pro+ (similar to slow downer)

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    DBB21B91-9E68-4027-9343-86ABAF11F8B8.jpeg

5. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I use a regular size iPad with forScore to organize my charts. The good thing is you can create all these different set lists and recall them as you need them. I have a separate iPad to run the digital desk but at simpler gigs I use just one and set and forget the mix and switch to forScore for the charts.
    For the purpose of reading charts I guess the bigger screens would be nicer but I'm doing OK with mine for now, if I have to replace it I'll probably go with the larger one. I'm always looking for a better app for charts so I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what others are using.

6. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Charts are for horns! Keep the iPad on stage to watch your favorite sports team whilst playing shout for the second time because the bride's mother missed it the first go round.

Haha iKid.... There are some cool sound fx apps that I've seen bandleaders use from iPhone/iPad.

7. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    forScore is the favorite iPad app amongst my musician friends. Seems easy to use. Will make the jump at my next gig with charts. Make sure you also buy a Bluetooth foot switch to turn the pages!

vanderbe and alanloomis1980 like this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Any of these apps do downloads from web sites? Like converting ultimate guitar.com entry to pdf? My guitar players android app does that, seems like an awesome feature

Does this have a setlist manager? Looks like a real contender. I see it has transposition and play along, 2 very nice features.

Does forScore do chord charts too? All I see is sheet music on the snap shots

Ha! I Used to play trumpet myself. I’m big on memorizing, I only use my paper books at rehearsal. But I’ve just added a second band, I think I’m getting close to some sub work, and I like to go to jams... seems like it’s time to get organized!

eJake likes this.
  9. John Chambliss

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    No iReal Pro has chord charts, the ability to change keys, edit charts, create new charts, ability to change speeds, and all kinds of cool stuff. However, you need Set List Maker or Band Helper (both by the same developer) to store chart documents (Word, pdf, .jpeg, etc.) and make Set Lists from them and other fun stuff. Band Helper is more powerful, but there's a fee. I have a "band account" that allows up to 5 users and it's only $25 a year. Each person in the 5 can have their own customized chart version of a tune.

10. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    It does have a set list manager, I don’t use it to write charts though. I use Finale on the iMac to create the charts, save as PDF and import via iTunes.
    The managing via iTunes is my only bugbear with this.

11. I have OnSong but rarely - ok never- use it. I put my setlist into a PDF and put it on the iPad. I mix from stage on my Soundcraft Ui16 using the iPad.

12. vanderbe

vanderbe Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston
    I use a large iPad Pro with ForScore for organizing leadsheets and set lists. Works great.

BassChuck and alanloomis1980 like this.
  13. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    I use The Amazing Slowdowner whenever I’m working on songs.
    And I use Songbook for basic charts. The Chordpro format is easy to use and produces charts that anyone should be able to read.

14. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

This app is a barrel of fun...

15. John Chambliss

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Ohhhhh, my mistake.

16. John Chambliss

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
  17. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I've been using an iPad for music notation since the iPad 2 came out; just upgraded to the iPad Pro 11" for some added features.

Software I use is ForScore, iReal Pro, Notion (to compose), SongBook, iStroboSoft (tuining) and a bunch of various other music ones.

Yeah, it does. I've used it a couple of times at jazz gigs with setlists, although rifling through and finding a tune isn't THAT hard, provided you don't have a ton of charts loaded (which I do).

It can't create chord charts, if that's what you're asking. I use iReal Pro for that.

18. I want to trigger some samples. I was looking at a Digitech Jam Man Solo and the footswitch accessory for it, but I have also considered an iPad since I already have one of those. Has anyone used one for that, and if so, how did you do it hands off.

I'm putting this here rather than starting a new thread.

BnB

19. I have been considering going the digital route, as well. Have been looking at OnSong.

Here’s a link to an overview:

20. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm tinkering around with this on iPad and iPhone. The software implementation of Novation's LaunchPad (hardware) looks promising. I'm experimenting with Amplify Music's LaunchPad iOS app right now - not certain if there are other similar contenders. This particular app comes pre-loaded with a ton of samples, but you can import your own, create your own "songs", etc. Pretty flexible. Only issue I have right now is figuring out the best way to route the signal into the PA from the phone/tablet's lightning connector. I have the old Alesis iPad dock and a first gen iPad - that gives me a ton of connectivity, but unfortunately, modern iOS apps don't work on the old iPad. (But I still use it for setlists, teleprompter, etc). Jury is still out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021