1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeking MarkBass SD800 or 802 info...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've pretty much narrowed by new amp choices down to the following:

AI Focus Series III
    MarkBass SD800 or SD802
    GK 1001RB-II

The only amp that I haven't been able to try yet, being in the U.S., is the MarkBass SD series. I know that the 802 isn't on the street yet, but I'd like to hear any TBers comments on the SD800. (power, tone, fan noise, reliability, price, comparisons to other amplifiers, etc.)
    Thanks!

2. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I have the SD800. It seems very close in sound to the LMII. And in power. Maybe with a huge rig in a big room you'd need the extra gain, but the LMII is plenty powerful, a lot more than the AI to my ears. No fan noise to speak of. I've written reviews of Markbass posted elsewhere...

3. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    FYI the SD802 has been pulled from the product line--from early response it seemed like there wasn't much interest in the model since very few bassists are either bi-amping or running stereo these days.
    There's a review of the SD800 on the Markbass website, which appeared in Bass Guitar magazine a few months ago.

Cheers,
    Peter