Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seeking noise reduction assistance

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZEPPELIN523, Mar 28, 2004.

1. ZEPPELIN523

ZEPPELIN523

Mar 28, 2004
    Hello all:

Have any of you noticed the huge pickup noise that occurs with the Jazz bass when playing small dive clubs? It happens to me when I phase out the neck pickup for the classic "Jazz" tone. Is there a foot pedal or other device I can use the combat this? Please help!

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's called 60 cycle hum, and is just part of the deal when using a true single coil pickup design. The only way to really stop it is to max the volumes out on both pickups....at that piont you're effectively creating a humbucker, as one pickups will be wound in reverse polarity to cancel out the 60 cycle buzz. A relatively easy fix is to replace your true singlecoils with split coils or stacked coil pickups. This way, each pickups acts as a "humbucker" of sorts, where either the spilit coils or the extra dummy coil acts to cancel the noise. Outside of that, you could always go for an active electronics package and sheild the control cavity, but you're looking at more money and a possible mod to your bass.