Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeking Opinions: Skyline DJ vs. Fender 75 Jazz RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Apr 9, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Anybody have any opinions. I like the growly/big tone of the 75 RI's and was wondering how the Lakland Darryl Jone's compared. I've heard that the DJ is more modern sounding than the Joe Osborns and 62 RI's. The Lakland's also seem easier to come by, cheaper, and with a better color/fingerboard selections.

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I had a DJ, and I traded it for a 75 RI. The 75 is MUCH warmer sounding than the DJ (I tend to like warmer sounding basses, in general).

Both basses feel great and have excellent fit and finish, great fret jobs, etc... I liked the smaller body on the DJ more than the standard Jazz size body on the 75, but the overall sound was jus too "barky" on the DJ for me.

That said, after owning a Skyline, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The fit and finish are excellent in my opinion, I just liked the sound of the 75 RI better.

Don

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I would vote for the Fender MIA '75 RI....but as always, play one before buying it

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Dabshire, have you any experience with the Skyline JO. I've heard great things about those as well, but I don't have any experience with vintage or vintage-sounding instruments. By the way, how's life treating you in Big D? I grew up in Richardson, but haven't been back in almost 10 years.

5. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

Never played a JO Skyline. I hear they are more "vintage" sounding (I think that means they are warmer and rounder - think "Fender Jazz" sound). I have played a USA JO that almost made me cry it sounded so good...

;)

Like I said earlier, I don't think you could go wrong either way. The Skylines (from what I have seen and heard) are outstanding instruments, as is the Fender.

I think it comes down to personal taste, and if you can I would recommend playing each and getting a feel for the sound and neck of each instrument.

Dallas is Dallas. Grwoing like mad. I work in Richardson, and I drive 20 miles south to get there, and it's pretty much solid suburbia from there to Mckinney...

Don