1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeking Recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gweimer, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hi all. Here's the deal. I may be getting some money to upgrade my playing gear. Given a $3000 budget, what kinds of amp/bass combos can you recommend for me? Here's some of the issues at hand:

• My new band is going to be playing small/medium clubs
    • I need an amp that will cover some space, but I'll be using my SUV to transport (thinking combo)
    • Bass - I need to find something versatile (I lean towards double-humbuckers for sound)
    • Drop tuning needed
    • Probably an effect box - I'm leaning towards the EBS Uni-Chorus

I have some thoughts already, but I wanted to see what you people could enlighten me with. Thanks.

2. If your looking double humbuckers, Bongo! Get a Music Man Bongo w/ double humbuckers ;) As far as the other stuff, I'm not good in that department.

3. As for an amp that will fit in that critera, I would suggest a Yorkville 400B. The 'combo' of this amp has a yorville 400B head with a 15" speaker. The head is removable so if you get a bigger cab. The sound is amazing, with seperate post and pre amp stages, and a 10 band eq. the amp is also smallish to accodate travel. But it is a little heavy. and it is really well built! and the yorkville 2-10 warrenty you can't beat it.

and if you want a chorus pedal then i would suggest the Boss CEB-3! built tough and a great chorus pedal.

Ahope it helps.

Adam

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If you want a loud combo, check out the Peavey BAM210, the Eden Metro, and the SWR Super Redhead.

The Peavey is the loudest and handles the low B best(if you are playing a 5 or 6), with the Eden finishing second in both respects. The Super Redhead really needs an extension cab to be loud enough, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a combo, but it sounds very good, if you are into the SWR sound.

As far as basses with 2 humbuckers go, check out the Zon Sonus 5/2, Modulus Quantum, Peavey Cirrus, G&L L series, and the Musicman Bongo. All great basses. The Bongo is my personal favorite at the moment, but you can't go wrong with any of them.