Seeking Recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gweimer, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hi all. Here's the deal. I may be getting some money to upgrade my playing gear. Given a $3000 budget, what kinds of amp/bass combos can you recommend for me? Here's some of the issues at hand:

• My new band is going to be playing small/medium clubs
    • I need an amp that will cover some space, but I'll be using my SUV to transport (thinking combo)
    • Bass - I need to find something versatile (I lean towards double-humbuckers for sound)
    • Drop tuning needed
    • Probably an effect box - I'm leaning towards the EBS Uni-Chorus

I have some thoughts already, but I wanted to see what you people could enlighten me with. Thanks.
  2. If your looking double humbuckers, Bongo! Get a Music Man Bongo w/ double humbuckers ;) As far as the other stuff, I'm not good in that department.
  3. As for an amp that will fit in that critera, I would suggest a Yorkville 400B. The 'combo' of this amp has a yorville 400B head with a 15" speaker. The head is removable so if you get a bigger cab. The sound is amazing, with seperate post and pre amp stages, and a 10 band eq. the amp is also smallish to accodate travel. But it is a little heavy. and it is really well built! and the yorkville 2-10 warrenty you can't beat it.

and if you want a chorus pedal then i would suggest the Boss CEB-3! built tough and a great chorus pedal.

Ahope it helps.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want a loud combo, check out the Peavey BAM210, the Eden Metro, and the SWR Super Redhead.

The Peavey is the loudest and handles the low B best(if you are playing a 5 or 6), with the Eden finishing second in both respects. The Super Redhead really needs an extension cab to be loud enough, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a combo, but it sounds very good, if you are into the SWR sound.

As far as basses with 2 humbuckers go, check out the Zon Sonus 5/2, Modulus Quantum, Peavey Cirrus, G&L L series, and the Musicman Bongo. All great basses. The Bongo is my personal favorite at the moment, but you can't go wrong with any of them.