Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeking slap basslines!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anarki03, Nov 30, 2005.

1. anarki03

anarki03

Nov 30, 2005
    Hey guys!

I know, this has been done before, yada yada, but not to suit my needs!

I've learnt the aeroplane slap bassline and can play that pretty fluently without stuffing up. I need to learn a new song cause im sick of playing aeroplane.

Does anyone know of any really technical-ish songs that slap? like aeroplane, fast kinda thing except that i can play it.. :hyper: \

thanks!

ben

P.S. 4 string slap only as i only got a yamaha rbx170 :bawl:

2. anarki03

anarki03

Nov 30, 2005
    Hey guys!

I know, this has been done before, yada yada, but not to suit my needs!

I've learnt the aeroplane slap bassline and can play that pretty fluently without stuffing up. I need to learn a new song cause im sick of playing aeroplane.

Does anyone know of any really technical-ish songs that slap? like aeroplane, fast kinda thing except that i can play it.. :hyper: \

thanks!

ben

P.S. 4 string slap only as i only got a yamaha rbx170 :bawl:

3. Double posting is an offence punishable by death...

but... urm, any early chili peppers could be a good place to start out.
    Get Up And Jump might challenge you for speed. Cool little riff actually, fun and impresses people as all slap does, no matter how simple

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you want to get into a slightly different kind of slappnig (not the repetitive octave flea style) try looking at some Primus songs.

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    if u want some real funk slap bass lines, check out the brothers johnson, streetwave has a good slap bass line

6. write your own?

never know what you might come up with and it may also always be progressing so the enjoyment of playing it will last longer

7. +1
    Im not sure how much of his stuff is done on a 4 banger though. Just look through til you find some i guess

Peace :bassist:

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Sly & the family Stone or Graham Central Station would be good choices. After all, Larry Graham invented it in the 1st place.

9. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah deffinitly, but i just like louis johnsons slap style more, i like larry graham aswell ofcourse, but i love louises tone and everything

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Check out Slave.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Check out some Marcus Miller. Killer tone, and it blows me away how he does some of that stuff.

Mark

12. anarki03

anarki03

Nov 30, 2005
    Thanks for your input guys

Sorry about the double-post, net was running slow.

I have been told to check out marcus miller before, but i cant seem to find any of his songs..

I kinda like the octave style that flea uses in aeroplane, its cool! :p

EDIT : also, if you can tell me the actual name of the song instead of just the band name, that would be helpful so i dont have to go thru all their songs to find one funky slap line

13. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Marcus miller, u should check out La Villette

Coffee shop by the chili's if u havnt already heard it

and again u should check out streetwave by the brothers johnson

14. anarki03

anarki03

Nov 30, 2005
    I cant find streetwave.. and i've done coffee shop

15. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Off the top of my head...

"I need more love" by Robert Randolph and the family band. Intro is slapped.

"Lopsy Lu" by Stanley Clarke. Very simple, but very cool.

"Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" by Sly and the Family Stone. Again, simple stuff, but it's an iconic slap line.

"Bonin' in the Bone Yard" by Fishbone

16. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    do u have any downlaoding programs? i use limwire, and just type in the brothers johnson or brothers johnson and it should come up, can u play the end solo to coffee shop by the way?

17. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    seriousely: higher ground RHCP's cover has one sweet bassline..
    a little more difficult but also RHCP: "show me your soul" funny as hell to play..
    "red light" (might have a different title) from the movie "fame" is one of my favourites aswell.. simple fluid funky slappin'...

check em out..

18. I think that "power" is also a good Marcus Miller tune to play some awesome slap.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, I picked up "I want to thank you" the other day... I absolutely LOVE that groove... the original track doesnt sound slapped, per se.... but when you DO slap it, it's like buttah.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'm actually trying to teach this old dog a new trick. My band is playing Britany's "Hit Me Baby One More Time " :bag: :rollno: out for the 1st time tonight. I'll be whipping out the thumb for the 1st time ever. I know, dead simple bass line. But I need to start with baby steps. The thing I'm really having problems with is that my volume just isn't as loud or solid as it is fingerstyle. Funny thing is that I'm pretty ham handed. I play like a gorilla and break strings a lot. Yet this sounds like I just turned the volume down by about 1/2.