1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking wiring diagram/advice for passive Nordstrand Big Singles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I did a few searches and was surprised that I didn't find an answer there.

I have a set of Nordstrand Big Singles on the way and would like to get prepared to install them as soon as they arrive.

I'm looking for a diagram to install them in an Ibanez SR-535. I think they are 3-wire pickups. From Nordstrand's site:
    "
    all single coils and split coils - the black wire is ground and the white wire is hot. the gray wire also goes to ground unless a buffered input preamp is used like an audere, in which case the black wire goes into the preamp common and the gray wire goes to ground.
    "

I can solder, and have installed pickups once before, but this will be the first time I'm doing a wiring job from scratch.

I just want a simple set of controls. I'm thinking this but open to suggestion:
    Master volume - both pups should always be at the same level for humcancelling
    Passive tone (lowpass)
    series/parallel switch

Does anybody know where I can get a diagram to install this?

Would such a diagram include values for the pots & caps & wires & things?

Anyone care to recommend a source for top quality pots & caps & wires & things?

Tips for reducing hum as much as possible?
    The SR-535 cavity is already coated with conductive paint, would copper sheeting be better?

Thanks!

2. I'll draw a diagram when I get a chance.

Pot and capacitor values are a personal preference. You have to decide what you are going to use.

There is no reason to reshield an instrument that is already shielded.

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    That is so cool, thank you!

I guess from reading that higher value pots are treblier, and most people use 250k or 500k linear taper style so I guess I'll look for 500k on the theory that it's easier to EQ out extra treble than to EQ in what was never there to begin with.

For caps, all I know is I've heard the value 47uF tossed around so I guess that's the right one.

I'd welcome anyone recommending specific values or brands for a really aggressive hard rock type of tone. My thought is that if the bass provides all the raw signal and frequency range possible, I can EQ out what's not needed afterward, at the amp, or the DAW or whatever.

I have a history of trying to get a full, clear, vicious tone with a preamp in the bass, a Sansamp on top of the amp, and also using the preamp section of my Tonehammer head. I can get the general tone profile I want, but doesn't sound as "natural" as I would wish. I would say it's muddier than I would like and lacks "character". So now I'm going to try letting great pickups create the tone and using minimal EQ to shape it - versus using all kinds of add-ons to turn the stock Bart MK1s into something they are not.

I actually think the MK1s are not bad and should get more respect than they do, but to my ear they are smooth sounding. I'm keeping them in my other SR-535 for easy listening gigs.

But hey, man, hard rock is close to my heart so I'm still tonequesting for that.

Me, me me. Listen to that. How self-indulgent. I should take the same $$ I'm putting into this and put it into something socially beneficial.

If you're thinking, "this guy has had too much coffee", you're right.

Anyway thanks for all helps.

4. 47uF is three orders of magnitude too much, unless you meant 47nF. The standard value in uF would be 0.047. That value works well for most people.

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Oh yeah, thanks for correcting that... I should have known better.
    I'm not even sure what role the cap plays in the circuit.

I think I read somewhere that the standard passive lowpass control is the interplay between a capacitor and a variable resistor (pot). The full on effect of the capacitor is to suck all the treble out of the signal, and the more resistance you dial in with the pot the more you restrict current flow to the cap, reducing its effect. Is that anything close to correct?

6. Yes, that's basically how it works.

7. Turns out that I've already done this diagram for someone else four years ago.
    4587135171_ebf5b0ac30_o.

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Thanks, that is perfect!