1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seems I have to give up, the Ehrlund PU doesn’t works on my new bass.....

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barcza, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I was a big fan, and spokesman of the Ehrlund PU....
    When I first tired on my previous bass, a Hungarian contemporary instrument. I felt Ehrlund is a real game changer, a new chapter in the Double Bass amplification, I was completely amazed....
    That bass has very tiny, nasal and weak sound unamplified (acoustic), but with the Ehrlund sounds fantastic trough any amp...

Now I replaced my bass, to an old 80-100 years old German, well made bass, sound incredible when unamplified, it has a big, powerful sound, right bottom but when I try to amplify with Ehrlund PU, it doesn’t work, lacks definition, it’s muddy, no sustain, feedbacking. I use the Headway EDB2 preamp, and notch out a feedbacking frequency, but remains one or two in louder situations......
    Only works just on my very quiet small gigs, but on stage it doesn’t...

What pickup do you offer for me?

I used Full Circle for a while, but I didn’t like it, too bright, and it has some distort in the sound, it was not a setup problem because I hear on every record what I know....

The realist is too muddy on some basses, and sometime distort too...

I play in various bands, in many situation.
    Jazz trio, small cafe to big 1000+ venue loud Word Music with drums, brass, loud monitors....

Not easy

2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Try an Underwood BUT only use 1 element on the E side wing of the bridge - leave the other "G"side element unattached.(NOTE: the fitment/tightness or looseness of the element in the wing slot is critical for a good sound.)
    This set up has worked well on my Juzek, a somewhat dark sounding carved bass.
    IMO/IME.
    Let's see what others may suggest...
    Thanks and Good Luck.

damonsmith and Barcza like this.
  3. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Interesting, Underwood is not too zingy, and swelling sound? Otherwise very difficult to buy in Europe.....

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Since noticing this change have you tried it on another bass? There may be a problem with the Ehrlund itself. Determine that before doing anything else.

Dabndug likes this.
  5. Don Kasper

On a dark bass, the Underwood seems to extract a usable, predictable, EVEN sound. Yes, it can be "...zingy" on a bright bass, but you might be able to EQ this out.
    A pre-amp to match Impedance is good to use with the Underwood, as well.
    Also- Sorry, I didn't realize the Underwood was not readily available in Europe. Here in the US, there are drawers full of old Underwoods...
    IME.

Barcza and Jeff Bonny like this.
  6. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Maybe You right, on my last loud gig, I used my old BP-100 it was not bad....

Don Kasper likes this.
  7. Don Kasper

I never had good luck with the BP-100 on my bass - too UNEVEN!!!
    Underwood seems to manage that issue on my bass.
    Thanks for your interest.

Barcza likes this.
  8. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah it’s not the best one, very unnatural, but very clear, and trouble free...

9. Don Kasper

Fair Enough, but ALL pickups are "unnatural"...
    Good Luck!

leonard and Barcza like this.
  10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I've heard Don live in a club with a nice FOH system... I found the tone excellent, not unnatural at all. Easy to hear and pleasing to listen to. I'd say it won't work for everyone but it definitely can work for some.

Barcza likes this.
  11. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah, it’s the signature sound of the great Buster Williams...

12. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but amplifying two instruments of greatly differing acoustic quality is going to require adjustment to a number of parameters. Every aspect of your signal chain needs to be looked at - from settings and placement through to pickup, preamp, amp and speaker type. Focusing on the pickup alone may well be barking up the wrong tree.

13. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah, but i already experimenting, various spots on the bass, tired with many different amps, (most of the time I can’t play my own amp.....), tired with and without the preamp! I pretty sure the pickup is the weak point now on that bass....This bass has very resonating soundpost, that’s why, I think, not works a pickup what direct connected to the soundpost,....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Buster gets that sound without any amplification.

Phil Rowan, oliebrice, Barcza and 2 others like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Sorry to hear that, sometimes basses that are incredible acoustically, just don't amplify well. A fine bassist here in St. Louis with a beautiful contemporary instrument from Nick Lloyd has had his

share of difficulties, with both the Remic 5400 LB and the Ehrlund EAP. Just to be certian the EAP isn't dammaged, can you put it back on your old bass to check? You'll want to rule that out first.

My bass is small a 5/8's in fact, so it's not especailly loud by itself. The EAP is perfect for my instrument. At the ISB (International Society of Bassists) convention earlier this month, there were a variety of pickups and all the players

sounded pretty great. If you do a lot of arco work in addition to pizzicato, then I don't think a piezo is going to work. I heard the Nadine Mic for the first time at ISB and thought it sounded wonderful, but that was in a Duo setting.

Sorry I don't have a better solution. The Remic 5400 LB works great on my bass as well, but not so much for other players here on TB.

Dabndug likes this.
  16. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Of course, but he uses the BP-100 since 30+ years....

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK, but you said "signature sound". Doesn't matter what pickup or how long, that's the sound that HE makes come out of the BASS.

Phil Rowan and oliebrice like this.
  18. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    I'm a fan of the Ehrlund too, but if you change the bass, you might look for another "sweet spot" for this instrument. I mailed to Göran Ehrlund and Ferold Genssler about this and I learned a lot about looking for and choosing the sweet spot. Often you can't put it to the same spot on another instrument. Gerold Genssler for example gave me the advice to try the Ehrlund on the back of my bass ... and it worked very well. :) Looking for more sweet spots with different sound-colors gives you some sort of "natural equalization"... so I can't believe, that there is no "sweet spot" with your instrument..:)

Mark Gollihur, Dabndug and Ric Vice like this.
  19. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I sold my previus bass, but I don’t think, my Ehrlund is broken, it works, but feedbacking very easily, and lucks definition in louder situations....
    I do not bowing too mutch, just rarely...

20. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you're not using the bow for soloing, take a look at the Yamahiko thread, lots of positives from TB members, it is housed in the shaft of a bridge adjuster.

700BoxOpenTrim1.jpg BIGpickup_yamahiko3.png.png th.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Dabndug, Barcza and Earl like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021