1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seems I have to give up, the Ehrlund PU doesn’t works on my new bass.....

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barcza, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It must have something to do with the thickness of the top plate (or back plate) and the density of the wood grain.

LaFaro01 likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I agree with you that the pickup is indeed a significant component of any bassist's (live) amplified, or direct-recorded, sound.
    Thanks.

3. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Buster records sounded pretty different, before he started using the BP-100, the early records for example with Sarah Vaughan and Dexter Gordon when he play trough microphone....BP-100 is not the pickup “just sounds as my bass just loud”, it has a very caracteristic or for some taste unnatural sound, even when Buster plays you can hear the BP-100, otherwise everhings turns to gold in he’s hands....

Buster with mic:

Buster with Fishman BP-100

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well again, all I can go by is my experience, the first was hearing Buster with SPHERE at the Vanguard when his amp kept shorting out and the only thing that changed was the volume, not the tone and sound he was getting. The second was hearing him play his bass when he was picking it up at Dave Gage's after some work on it, still got that "Buster" sound without being plugged into anything.
    I heard the band in the second clip you posted in the Winter Garden at the World Financial Center (before 9/11), which was a spectacularly horrible venue in which to hear live music...

But if you look at the bass in the Sarah Vaughn video, those are gamba bouts and that's not his Hawkes Panormo. If I'm not mistaken, he DID purchase the Hawkes on this tour, with money that Sarah "loaned" him (and apparently never asked him to repay)...

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    And you could pick one up for a grand in those days, I bet.

Ric Vice and LaFaro01 like this.
  6. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Alright, Buster is one of the best player on this planet, I love his plaing too....

Anyway I like to get advises to pickups, becouse my Ehrlund seems don’t works on my loud gigs.....
    This is what that threat for!

charlie monroe likes this.
  7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I always new I loved Sarah Vaughn this just verifies it, great story.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Those were the day's my friend, I have no idea how gifted young players afford a $30.000 bass. Granted there is less expensive stuff out there. But I'm thinking
    it takes at least 8-10 Grand to get a decent instrument. Pickups are secondary to the sound of the bass itself, but after the player, and the instrument the next
    step is finding one that's compatible with your instrument. Unfortunately, it cuts both ways.

9. The Full Circle is very sensitive to rotation. It can have ugly resonances in one orientation and a eight turn away from that very even (but with a bit quieter signal output).
    The Yamahiko does not have this problem and is probably the best selection if you need to play in loud bands.

The Ehrlund EAP can be a bit dark. I got an older AKG C411 with the mic adapter and this sounds closer to my unamplified bass (at least what I hear as a player) with more higher frequency content than the Ehrlund EAP. But anything sitting on the top or back if the bass is more feedback sensitive than a pickup at the bridge.

In Europe a clone of the Underwood is available from Shadow. The SH-950 is a two-element pickup like the Underwood, the SH-951 is a one-element pickup for those who don't need the second element. Fit is very important to bridge wing pickups, not too much pressure or the sound is compressed, but it should not fall out of position by the vibration of the bass. Less pressure is better.

Barcza likes this.
  10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Buster formed his sound before he started using amplifiers. Hearing guys of this era play live it’s always seemed to me the amp and pickup was kinda incidental to their amplified sound. When I started regularly hearing live music an Underwood or Fishman straight into a GK or Polytone was high tech. I don’t recall ever hearing anyone sound better than Ray Brown with a rig like this. Sure you may want to play louder and need more technology to do that. But if you’re talking about what guys like Buster and Ray were doing the technology is not where it starts. After years of chasing an amplified sound I’m not sure it’s even worth spending much time obsessing over ever.

lrhbass likes this.
  11. And don't forget that those who started playing acoustically only needed to play loud, so less amplification volume is needed for them.

Those who have grown up with amplification often have less volume acoustically because of a lighter touch, so relay more on the amplification which gives a different acoustic and amplified sound. And the amplified sound is more dominant then.
    On the other hand it also gives a larger dynamic range than playing on the upper end almost all the time.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  12. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I allways practice acoustic, I did the master diploma of classical playing, my bass has a big nice acoustic sound. In my club gigs, I play almost acoustically, just a very little help with amp....I allways tired to get natural sound when amplified, but a new band hire me now, and they play loud on the stage, the keyboard player next to me on the stage, and his monitor killin’....The Ehrlund doesin’t work on this situation, it feedbacking, and no definition...For the last gig, I installed my old BP-100, works pretty ok. but I try to find some PU a little more natural sound....
    What do you guys think Realist copper or Life Life how mutch more volume before feedback than Ehrlund?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The only benefit I could see from the Realist Copper Foil is it’s more natural sound for arco. It’s attack dosen’t have great clarity, and it isn’t good at louder volumes. The Lifeline would be the better choice between the two as it’s closer to the Fishman Full Circle. Ultimately the Yamahiko would be the best. Just my opinion.

Best Regards

Ric

Barcza are you playing Peter Barksa’s Stonebass in our EUB thread on Talkbass? You sound wonderful!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Barcza likes this.
  14. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    There’s also the shadow sh 965, a piezofoil transducer for the bridge feet. It has a more open or hifi sound compared to the underwood type of pickups. With two pickups under each bridge foot, I think it would fall into the op’s “zingy” category. But if you do the underwood trick and disconnect the treble side the bass response changes, and it is certainly not zingy. I use this pickup with loud amplified world music and it sounds reasonably acoustic without much feedback.

15. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thank You Ric!
    Yes I am with the stone bass...

I think difficoult to get Yamahiko, here in Europe, never see one at the dealers.....
    The Life Line seems better choice than copper head, I also interested in Wilson K1 too, but I played some instruments equipped with bass balsereit, it has very clear sound but for me somehow weird attack, can’t really explain...

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

You're welcome Joseph, You can order one online, directly from Yamahiko, if you have PayPal they will ship to you. I can understand that you'd rather try something out through a local dealer. The Wilson K1 requires you to drill tne bridge,

so I don't want to put a hole in my bridge. This is just my opinion though. Let me know if you want to know about other pickups. I've played the Realist Copper Foil, the Ehrlund, the Underwood, Fishman BP-100, and the Revolution Solo.

17. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thanks I’ll check Yamahiko! Did You tired the Life Line?

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Barcza,
    I've heard bassist using it, but no I have not used a Life Line. The Ehrlund works so well on my bass I haven't looked elswhere, because as you know.
    it can and does sound amazing.

19. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    If you are not worried about a hole being drilled into your bridge I would recommend to get a Balsereit (now called ANS pickup). What I like a lot about it is that you can turn the pickup and get completly different sounds. This is a great advantage, but I guess also a bit challenging for some more unexperienced players. Once you found out how it works it is easy. You can make it listen towards the strings, more a kind of EUB or fretless BG kind of sound, or make it listen towards the body, very natural, but usually with too much low end, but in conjunction with a preamp as close to the pickup as possible it is a winner. I strongly recommend about 5MOhm input impedance and a hpf filter on the preamp. Volume both pizz and arco is very even. pickups_e.html

Barcza likes this.
  20. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Stat B is more natural sounding IME than LL, FC or Realist. I've used all and have stuck with the Stat for many years on three basses.

Earl, Ric Vice and Barcza like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021