Seems I've found the cure for getting out of the funk and back into the "funk"!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Not sure if this the exact forum to put this but this is where I thought it should go. Mods, move it if you feel it needs to go somewhere else.

You know, when it comes to a creative wall or mental block, I think I've found the key to getting over them. I just picked up my bass and have been in the woodshed for the last 4 days. I haven't done that in a while due to such a creative mental roadblock that has really hit me hard for the last year. I haven't been able to get to the next step or get better at all really. I've just been going over the same rudiments, same scales, same runs and tricks that I know, trying to expand my craft but to no avail. I finally got so frustrated that I only picked up my bass when I actually had to go out and play it for gigs or whatever.

So, this past week I've had a little more time on my hands. I picked up my bass and started playing this weekend's set list for church. It's all music I've played before but I was just getting a little more familiar with the songs. Then I went to some of the jam tracks on YouTube. Already warmed up from playing the set list, I just started jamming to the tracks. I wasn't soloing or trying anything flashy. I was just trying to find a tight groove. Then BOOM! It was like a lightning bolt of creativity hit me all the sudden. My mind opened up and I started going through jam track after jam track, playing different keys, different rhythms, different styles, etc.

So, my point is if you find yourself at a roadblock, take a break, recollect yourself, go back and start off with the basics, the fundamentals. From there you'll find that your mind will open up again and you'll be a new player again. At least that's what did it for me. I've also found a new love for the instrument and with that, a new desire to improve. It seems that I've gone up a couple levels in my playing in just a couple days, at least to me, but it really does seem like my feel and ear have dramatically gotten better. I can't explain it. I can only say that what I did worked and if I find myself at another wall, I'll do it again, well, maybe not a whole year but I'll take some time off and realize there's life outside of bass guitar. Then I'll return and hopefully find the passion and first-love experience for it all over again, and again.....

2. To touch on this, I know it's an expensive solution but getting a new bass always helps me in a similar way. Tackling the new instrument and learning all it's nuances can really bring out a different player in yourself and revitalize your playing. I guess a cheaper solution might be borrowing a buddy's bass are maybe trading basses for a while if you're both in a similar rut. Best of luck to all those struggling right now, I know it's never fun.

capnsandwich likes this.
  3. Well, I went the more economical route I suppose, although I wouldn't mind trying your idea here in a couple months. With 3 kids, Uncle Sam usually pays me back a nice chunk.

amusicalperson likes this.
  4. I have no human kids but I do have 16 or so musical instrument kids. I sure wish Uncle Same would give me a good chunk for them. ;) Btw, what bass are you currently playing?

5. Currently as my #1, I'm playing a Valenti J5 with an EMG 40P in the neck position and an EMG 40J in the bridge, an Aguilar OBP-3 18v preamp, swamps ash body, birdseye neck and fretboard and all Hipshot hardware. As my back up and church bass, I'm playing a USA Peavey Cirrus with an alder body, maple neck, birdseye fretboard and stock Peavey electronics and hardware. It's a heavy bass but plays nice. The string spacing is just a little too tight for it to be my main bass. Plus the Valenti is just way to sweet for anything to be #1 above it.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nino Valenti likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021