Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seems Like the Japanese are on the Move

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tactician, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Looks like the Japanese have been creeping up on the USA boutique builders whilst they were looking the other way. Or did they just copy the ideas?

This is an Atelierz 335.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't really like the way the upper bout is attached to the neck all the way to the 14th fret. It just looks very funny to me.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never played that model but I have played some of the Atelier Z Jazz basses & they were VERY nice.

4. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    i think its cool

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    No, that connected neck to body looks goofy. No, I'll pass.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Bleurgh

*Wipes vomit off chin*

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't like that model, but Atelier Z's are some AMAZING basses! So are the Moon's.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and let's not forget Atlansia!!!

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    On the move? They've always been a couple of steps ahead, IMO. They just don't tell anyone else about it.

10. The gap where the photo goes - why no photo? That is a photo frame in between the pick ups isn't it? I always though Rickenbackers seemed to be made from a box of parts from Radio Shack - but this looks like a nice contender. Ok so that's upset the owner AND rickenbacker owners as well - but I hvae owned a couple of Rickenbackers - so I'm a fan as well. But this bass is either high-art or something else - can't make up my mind yet.

11. . . . building great basses!

I own two Yamahas (6-string Patitucci and 4-string fretless BBN) and a Fender Geddy bass. Even the super-inexpensive BBN is of impeccable build quality.

Czech basses are also incredibly well-built, IME. And they're not just "good for the money" -- they'd be good at any price! I owned a Dean Jeff Berlin that was PERFECTLY built. I traded it to Bass Palace because I didn't love the pickup placement, but that's not a construction problem -- it's Jeff Berlin's fault. . . ;)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Ovation Magnum?

14. Yes! Tune basses rule! I just traded away my Tune 5-string, but only because I had a very similar-sounding Yamaha Patitucci 6-string, and wanted the extra string.

Still, the Tune had the best-sounding preamp I've ever heard on a bass, and I've owned WAY too many basses. . .

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep. The Atelier Z reminded me of it. Don't know too much about 'em.

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  17. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I used to have a Tune pre amp in my Iverson custom 6 but had problems with it....so out it went...

I have a Japanese Moon Climb 5 string its a pretty cool bass