Seen a Big name band make a mistake (live)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassbully43, Oct 31, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    So i'm watching an NFL game on sunday and the punter for this team shanks two punts in a row one 8 yards one 16yards :eyebrow: This is an 8 year vet and he did it once last week...anyhow it got me many of you guys have been to a concert and seen a big name headlining band screw up? I have seen sound go out ....a guitar unplugged...Steven Tyler in his coke days refusing to sing...Richie Blackmore throwing his out of tune strat into the crowd after 3 songs...but nothing about you guys? I am to old to remember alot of the old shows and was a bit smashed at alot of the old shows to notice :p
  2. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    bruce springsteen= i was at the fed ex field show towards the end of the RISING tour. the band couldnt remember how PINK CADILLAC went. took about 5 minutes for them to remember the song. pretty funny.
  3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Eddie Vedder screws up lyrics all the time. But that's what makes PJ so special... they never play two shows alike. They always salvage the song though and redeem themselves. I love this band live.

Saw Van Halen when Eds strap broke on him while his guitar crashed to the stage. Pretty funny.

Saw Living Color open up for the Stones and the singer fell off the stage.
  4. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    When I saw Garth Brooks perform, his in-ear monitor failed. He had to ask the sound crew to turn up the monitors onstage (well, under the stage grating). I was shocked to hear that they even had stage monitors, considering that everyone involved used in-ears.

When Lifehouse and Everclear came through opening for Matchbox 20, Everclear's lead singer got sick, so Lifehouse did a double set. It was painfully obvious which tunes were the "regular" songs that they had been playing on the tour (fully orchestrated with extra musicians to make it sound like the record), and which were the "extra" songs (no extra musicians, no polish, some off key singing, some wrong chords, some wrong harmonies... etc, etc, etc... all the markings of a lack of rehearsal time).

I also saw a big Christian band once (I don't remember which one) whose guitarist's axe totally failed on him. The band had to fake through with just bass and drums until one of the techs could bring out the opening band's guitar (or at least one that looked remarkably similar).
  5. When I saw Primus live in 03, Les made a mistake. They were playing the song "Is It Luck?" which has a very fast, very odd pattern of hammer-ons and pull-offs which creates a ridiculous sounding bassline. He attempted to play it much faster then it really is. After like the first 4 bars, he just screwed up and stopped. He said something like "Well, I guess I overestimated myself. Let's try that again". They played it again just a tab faster then the studio version and he did it just fine. I laughed my a$$ off.

Also, on Oct 2nd I saw Testament (awesome San Francisco metal band) live. The guitar player Eric Scolnick had a ton of little screw-ups throughout the night. Fortunately, it was so loud and distorted I could barely notice it. It was when he messed up the solo from "The New Order" that I got really pissed.
  6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Gene Simmons sings the wrong words to the wrong songs fairly often. Also, he forgets verses & just sings the first verse twice
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great stuff guys....i guess if they make mistakes we can too :p Keep them coming in...this is funny.
  8. Here's a good one. Victor Wooten (from the Bass Extremes dvd), while playing Donna Lee, seems to screw up a bit. I know this is a double-thump insanity version of the song, but this looks to me like he just forgot what he was supposed to play. At 34 seconds, there's supposed to be a rest in the song where he doesn't play anything. Instead, Vic spits out a lightning fast jumble of noise that just doesn't fit in my opinion. What do ya think? Screw up? Or just Vic being Vic?
  9. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Err Alex Skolnick or Eric Peterson? And you lucky dog...I really wanted to see them.
  10. I thought I heard a brief rest in his version. Then he spits out the lightning fast riff.
  11. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    That was cool i have never seen that clip before. If that is/was a mistake i'll take one like that anytime :D What a player.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    When I went and saw little richard, he forgot some thing... maybe Tooty Fruity... i dunno.

he starts playing one thing, and the rest of the band another...

he looks over...

and is like

then he realizes what they were playing
  13. I saw U2 live in Milwaukee a few weeks ago...awesome show. I have serious doubts I'll ever see a better a concert.

Anyway, most of the show went perfect. However, during their first encore they went into "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" After the first verse in the song, Bono totally forgot what he was supposed to sing. He had to stop the song and said something like "excuse us while we have a conference." After whispering to the Edge for about 30 seconds, they launched into the chorus of the song. It was a fun moment, and they handled it well.
  14. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I saw Testament at Thrash Against Cancer here in SF, and Alex dropped clams left and right. He had to watch Eric's hands on and off--they were laughing at each other and talking while playing a lot. I might have been upset, except that this was the first show in over ten years that Alex played with the band (he left to pursue a jazz career), and I was just happy I was finally able to see him play. It was still a fantastic show.

I saw Stone Temple Pilots in '94 or so, and the band had problems getting several tunes going at the right tempo, Scott stopped more than one after a couple of bars and made the drummer count it off again.
  15. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I have NEVER been to a show that was totally tight, the closest probably was Trans-siberian orchestra...

But there is some funny stuff on the AOL music site.
    They have so much live footage, it's easy to catch mistakes.
    I was just watching Thrice play "Artist in the Ambulance" and Dustin totally screwed up the words.

I just thought it was funny, cuz I had this thread open in one window, and I couldn't think of an example, and then, wham!
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That reminds me that The Edge screwed up Beautiful Day on television for some type of MTV Awards (forget if it was the VMA's or the Movie Awards). He hit a bad chord at the end of the song.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that all musicians eventually screw up on stage, even the national acts.
  17. The Bouncing Souls mess up all the time..
    Pete's guitar goes out of tune, or one of his effects kill his rig. Greg forgets words.

Sounds kinda unprofessional, but it is quite funny :)
  18. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I saw REM once and Michael Stipe forgot what the word "lobby" meant. Couldn't notice any musical mistakes, though.
  19. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i tivo'd franz ferdinand at hard rock live and the singer screwed up take me out, he started to go into the next section of the song too early, but caught himself a few words in.
  20. When I saw Primus in Toronto for the Tour De Fromage, Les starts by saying "We don't usually play this song cause well, its a b**** to play" he starts playing DMV half second later he screws up and says "see I already ****ed it up, lets try this again" and then went on to play it great.