Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seen any good concerts lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. I haven't in a while, but next tuesday will be my third time seeing Thrice, and I absolutely cannot wait.

You?

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Definitely:

The Waifs at the Palais a few months ago
    David Bowie at melbourne park
    The Cat Empire at the Forum

All amazing in different ways. The Cat Empire are one of the best bands I have ever seen live.

3. Best concert on the planet was at The Five Spot in Atlanta last Sunday (3-21-04) by The Atlanta TalkBass Get Together.

4. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Victor Wooten was good...

So were The Flaming Lips.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I saw Non-Prophets w/ Grand Buffet and Mac Lethal on the last show of the Ef Clear Channel tour. Really good, though Sage looked a little tired, he still put on a good show.

Also, An Albatross are a great live band...though their set lasts like 15 minutes.

I'm going to be seeing The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower and TV on the Radio soon. I'm super psyched.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Metallica last summer, going to see them again in month and a half. I wish they would apologize to Jason and let Trujillo go.

Also did anybody else who went to Summer Sanitarium notice how funny Trujillo looks when he plays :D

7. I am going to see Blues Traveler this saturday at a small club in Northampton, Bela Fleck and the Flectones June 27th, Incubus july 2nd, and Dave mathews July 6th & 7th.

8. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I'd be curious to see Incubus with Ben now. Saw em twice with Dirk, nothing spectacular.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Norma Jean (With Haste the Day, Dead Poetic, Beloved, and Underoath).

Good show, but the kids in Portland were waaay to intense.

10. I recently got a chance to see Wooten at the Galaxy in Santa Ana, CA. Torpedo Betty was the opener and they were suprisingly good.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just saw Opeth last night in Sydeny (Australia) - the setlist was awesome and the concert was on the whole, better than their concert last year (Deliverence tour) - although overall the sound was not as good.

Setlist:

Master's Apprentices
    The Drapery Falls
    The Moor
    Windowpane
    In My Time of Need
    To Rid the Disease
    (mental blank - first track off My Arms)
    Deliverance
    Blackwater Park

Encore: Demon of the Fall

Awesome show!

The other amazing band I saw last month was an Irish / World music group called Kila - they are phenomenal and as interesting to see live as the Flecktones - check them out - particuarly their album Luna Park!

12. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Mark

Did you see The Cat Empire at the Metro? And did you notice the bassist was using two Acme B2s in his backline?

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    David,

I didnt see the CAT empire - to be honest other than hearing *about* them, I havent heard any of their music except the one performance they did on The Panel (which didnt impress me). Was the sound good? I have heard they are pretty funky.

You should get in contact with *Tones* (userID) I think he is looking at droping some cash on a new rig and is still undecided about amps and cabs - the ACME's might be just what he is looking for.

14. I saw Thrice for the first time about a month ago, and i was very impressed, i'm going to buy a cd of their's very soon.

Hey Mark I was there too, were you on the floor or in the seating area? Was the an awesome concert, good setlist too. I was bit annoyed at those guys yelling out in the quiet songs, but what can you do.

Bassis

15. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Mark - I can't really imagine them working in the relatively intimate setting of the Panel - but the full house crowd at the Metro really went off. The sound is equal parts Madness (the band); latin and hip hop - with a dash of social awareness - kinda reminds me of Arrested Development. Some of their songs have that "instant classic" feel. FOH sound at the Metro was mixed - vocals / brass / keys were good - rest was so so.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't care for the Christian dogma, but they make good music. Dead Poetic's singer looks like Ricky Martin, which made the set slightly more entertaining.

Speaking of celebrity lookalikes, the keyboardist for Underoath looks like Chris Farley when he "rocks out." My friend and I were trying not to laugh, meanwhile everyone else is really into it and screaming along.

I was there for Norma Jean, but was pleasantly surprised by Beloved, who sound really, really good live. Recorded, it's so-so, but live, they're a great band.

17. Last one I went to was Avenged Sevenfold about a month ago, awesome show. Before that had Coheed And Cambria, and also Sick Of It All with Most Precious Blood and Bleeding Through as support.

Got RX Bandits on 7th April, then some local all-dayers with ska/punk/hardcore bands coming from all over the country.

I could have gone to see Thrice, but couldnt get transport down there and didn't have the money for ticks. Hope ya enjoy yaself!

18. Been a at least a few months since I've been to anything really good, but that streak should come to an end this weekend as I'm making the drive to Montreal to see Dream Theater for the 2nd time. Club show, 2 sets, no opener - should be incredible.

Looking forward to Thorogood, Bela Fleck, and Rush over the summer.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mike Stern with Richard Bona and Dave Weckl at the Catalina Bar & Grill.

Pricey but great.

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    On Wednesday I saw The Decemberists at the Khyber in Philly. They were great, and the place was packed.

Tonight I'm going to see Broken Social Scene at the TLA. Should be excellent... I've seen them before and they did not disappoint.