Seen on EBay....Sacrilege!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbanks, Jul 28, 2003.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well- if it were angled- it woiuld be an eighth not e( hey, i took theory, you better recognize!!;) )

ok, ok. it looks like crap- there you go!!:D

2. reminds me of the musicman bongo... only MORE attractive (but thats not saying much)... it really is a sad thing to see, i used to have a ripper and it was a great bass... i wish my dad never got rid of it

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Rain drops keep falling on my head... :D

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    SPOON BASS!!!

:bassist:

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    "What kind of scumbag mutant IDIOT would do such a thing to a bass!"

Ahem...........

One such person was Geddy Lee. Chopped up a Precision bass in much the same fashion. Can't find a pic right now, but I remember you can see it in some of the pictures in the album cover for "All The World's A Stage".

Is is mentioned here....

That bastard...........:eek:

6. Wow, I feel sick to my stomach!

:eek: :eek:

*hugs his baby*

:eek: :eek:

7. That bass needs to be in the Gard movies...it's that evil!

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Man, I just spit out my Dr. Pepper out on my keyboard!!:spit: That was too funny... I think that I did some customizing to my VW recent, but it still looks better than that sad sad gibson!

JT,

I think that you are right, this is symbolic of what Gibson has done to other guitar and Amp companies.

Looks like a Vox Teardrop... but, the Vox was a classic...

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, I don't like it, nor dislike it. People can do whatever they what to whatever they want. If it's ruining a good bass, so be it. Would I buy it? Nope, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell everyone else not to, cos maybe someone else likes it...

_Ray_

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Good Point...(Dammit! I hate those!)

12. moyo

moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    it is good to know they r kickin it away:rolleyes:

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Tacoma WA
    LOL!

As one who had to "deal" with a Gibson Ripper in his early years, a bass very similar to what this originally was (a Grabber or G-3), I think he may have improved it. ;)

The Ripper was essentially a 2x4 with strings, and the Grabber and G-3 were the same bass with different pickup configuration.
    These basses were never that great to begin with. Since when has Gibson been a respected Bass company??? Why all the sorrow?

14. :spit: :eek: :spit: That is just wrong!:spit:

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well you're entitled to your opinion. I used to think about Precisions the same way until I had to play one for a while. Then I learn to appreciate it, even though I still don't care to play one. If it don't fit don't force. (I still think the adaption is u-glee):)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I heard today that Tobias is coming back, with Mike himself inspecting each instrument before it is shipped out(I have no idea how much $$$ this is costing Gibson) and that USA production of Steinbergers will begin again soon, with Ned involved in their quality control.

17. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i actually like it, i've thought about doing that to my bass before. if i had the money, i would buy it..... maybe.

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    you're wrong

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Still will not help their immediate sales, for the true bass enthusiast. I totally respect Mike and Ned and completely understand that it is a 'gig' (ie. paycheck)... Not rushing out to purchase either. It seems that this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the 'writting on the wall' on Gibson's part.

...Or they read this thread.

ps, if you purchase a Fodera Anthony Jackson Model, each one has to go infront of him for inspection and pro-set-up before it goes out to the customer....

20. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I, for one, like some Gibson basses. I have a '76 Thunderbird that is a great bass, and I've played, and like Grabbers. Who cares if they aren't a "respected bass company"?

Why all the sorrow? Because destroying a bass like that is just wrong (IMO), whether Gibson, Fender or whatever.