Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seen "SAW"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass-shy, Feb 19, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just watched "SAW" with my wife, and I think this is the creepiest film I've ever seen. I had to watch it twice. Anyone else seen it?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont like scary films :(

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I didn't see saw. I was usually on the swings.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That's definitely a Jersey sense of humor........

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I saw saw. It was ok, I mean, it was pretty good. Not like, top notch by far. I really don't think that they CAN make a scary movie anymore, they try to make it sooooooooooo scary, that it usually ends up being rediculous. Like The Grudge, that ****ing sucked.

6. GREAT movie!!! One of the best endings ever.

eivom siht ees og

won

:ninja: segassem lanimilbus gnisu ma I

7. rgallant

rgallant

Feb 14, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    It wasn't that good, IMO. And for people who liked it because it made you think (just a little) there are far more better movies than Saw... :smug:

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Drummer just got tthe DVD so we watched it for the 2nd time last night (first was in theaters), beyond the fact that the doctor (guy from Robin Hood: man in tights) sucked at acting, it was a good movie, few plot holes though.

9. Hated it, meh

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    It didn't do anything for me, the ending was cool. The best part was when the Bath-tub guy beat that other guy to death. That was just amazing.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Wow, yeah, Dogma is great. I did think the ending of Saw was pretty cool too.

12. For those of you who didn't like it: do you atleast apprieciate the genius of the "bad guy"?

I do.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    everyone i know who has seen it has said to me that it is either terrible or laughably terrible.

14. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I am mostly a zombie guy myself but I though SAW was pretty good. The ending was good and I really like the situations the people were put in. Things like the barbed wire, the helmet thing, and stuff like that. I wouldn't really consider it to be a horror movie. That part where the guy is in his apartment and taking pictures to see light, wow, that was one part that jumped out.

15. +1

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not really. Look, if you want to maybe kill someone, fine. But if you're going to toy with them and kill them anyway, put a key in someone's stomach. "He finds ways for vitims to kill themselves," my ass.

Do you realize how fargin' IMPOSSIBLE it would be for anyone, surgeon or otherwise, to cut someone open, find the stomach, and get that key out in an hour? Especially stressed out and on someone who's actually still alive and squishy?

That's not genius, that's poor scripting. The problem with movies like Saw are that they require the audience to not question why someone would have so much time on their hands to devise such convoluted plans. These aren't scary monsters, they're plot devices. Among other issues I had at the time, but cannot remember now.

Brad: It's a bad movie that's well made. If that makes sense. It wants to be Seven so terribly, terribly bad.

Oh, and the Grudge sucks balls. Go find Ju-On.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You know what was bad about the movie?

THE ACTING!

It was all really fake and overly dramatic. Every line was forced and every emotion was thrown out there like they were in a theatre trying to project to the people in the back rows.

I think the director forgot to warn his cast that they had video cameras and microphones shoved in their faces and that they would be projected back to audiences on huge screens and through loud speakers.

The idea was kinda cool, and just that.

Oh and Brendan in dead on. It wanted to be Seven more than I want to be Dave Navaro. (Mmmmmmm Carmen Electra)

18. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Dude it's a movie. If I want real ill watch A&E. Damn do you people like anything or can you people reply to a thread without geting so defensive. If you don't like it I really don't want to read you people whinning about why you think it sucked.

I saw it thought it was a good movie and the ending was good as well.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, you're defensive at the moment.

This wasn't "isn't Saw great?" this was "any one else seen Saw?" Did you expect it to be all gushing reviews that fell in line with previously held opinions and expectations? And if you did, how big is that rock?

Besides, who says I, or anyone else, can't have standards, even, dare say I, high standards of entertainment; printed, visual, or otherwise?

20. an okay film- entertaining but over-the-top, and the doctor made me laugh a couple of times.

Cube was a much better film using the strangers-find-themselves-trapped-in-a-situation-by-unknown-persons-for-no-apparent-reason premise IMO (less sensationalised but much more disturbing).