Seen the Jack Daniels "Bass Player" ad???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 22, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have you seen the Jack Daniels Hard Cola ad where the bass player doesn't show up with a band playing in a dive??? The band asks the crowd if anyone knows how to play bass and the grease-splattered cook comes out of the kitchen, straps on a Precis and starts laying down a riff

Here's some press on it - "Spot No. 3 three shows up in October. It's a vignette about a middleaged fry cook who drops his spatula and fills in with a young bar band when the band's bass player doesn't show. It's an appeal to commonality, Schlader said, and is meant to show ''you don't have to be 25 years old and have your hat on backwards to enjoy the product.''

Just wondered if anyone else has seen it.....(and did the no-show bassist have a better paying gig??? :p )
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah. I also enjoyed that ad. Didn't really enjoy the Ampeged out pick tone though! :)

Incidentally, is that commercial a statement on what we lowend guys have in store in our future?! We'll all be fry-cooks in nasty little dives. Woohoo!

brad cook
  3. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Isnt it the always the drummer who doesnt show?
    Are they trying to say that Bass is so easy,even a greasy cook who never heard or played with this band can fit right in?
    I didnt see the ad,but Im not drinkin any JD anytime soon
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Rick-
    I've caught that ad once.
    Must say, I did laugh...& how 'bout that gnarly pick tone(as Brad alluded to).
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah i thought that ad was cool till i heard his tone.

[vomit] bleyyyyychhhhhh [/vomit]
  6. rickbass

Yeah, Jim.....funny, at one time, that was righteous'll probably come back into style again.

I thought you guys here on TB would pick that ad apart. At first, I caught myself reading all this stuff into about. "well what does this say about bassists???"

But I shrugged it off as just something put together by "creative" ad agency people who probably think that bassists are just failed guitarists.

Fine with me - as long as I'm turning down offers and guitarists keep delivering my pizzas within 30 minutes. :D
  7. I wasn't really paying attention to the TV (I was playing my bass, actually) until I heard "Does anyone here play bass?" After determining that I hadn't just got a gig, I still thought it was cool, even though I don't like commericials.
    I think the ad was saying something like "Our complex as the people who drink them." Since not only could the man fry, he could rock.
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i caught that one...awesome commercial. i laughed me arse off...of course, my wife looked at me like i was a dunce...
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Ever see That Thing You Do!?
    What does that say about bassists?!
    I mean, the guy doesn't have a name(he introduced as "the bass player"...the ending credits call him "TB Player").
    He drops his bass after the O-Needers win a 2-bit contest.
    Tom Hanks' character asks him-
    "Do you have your pick"?
    "Are you straight on those harmonies"?
    (Like he's the only one f***ing up).

Eventually, the yutz goes off to Disneyland in lieu of playing on national TV.

Though I did love the arrogance of the Wolfman bassist...

10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Has anyone tried that JD Hard Cola yet? Is it any good? I saw it in the store today but was hesitant to buy it as I don't want to end up a fry cook at a greasy dive. ;)

brad cook
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    you have a suiting last name though :)
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Now that is a good one.:D :D :cool:
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Guess my destiny was set long before the Jack Daniels destiny-setters started scheming.

brad "the" cook
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've seen it too and thought it was pretty cool. It reminded me of that scene in That Thing You Do, when Wolfman shows up at the Wonders' TV gig and shows the rest of the band his chops.

I don't think they're trying to say that just anyone can play bass. Are you saying that good bassists don't have day jobs, MrGump?

EDIT: Winks at JimK. ;)
  15. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    No Im not saying that.And again -I havent seen it yet-but by the way it was described, its shows that just about anyone from any unrelated walk of life can fill the bass role with no effort.
    A good friend of mine whos an excellent bass player and Stick player,runs the cafeteria at Five Towns college(of performing Arts) here.
    One day they had an open mic type thing,and he WOW'd the students with a stick performance.
    Now hes not just "that shmoe who makes sandwiches" anymore!
  16. "Jack Daniels" and "Cola" in the same sentance. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
  17. rickbass

It makes no sense to me, Gunnar. When I used to drink alcohol, I drank so much Daniel's Black Label (my band at the time even had a contract rider to have it provided) that the Daniel's people sent me a certificate as a "Tennessee Colonel" and reserved an acre of land for me in the state (whatever that means).

I toured the distillery, saw how much painstaking care went into it, and it just seemed crazy - why not just buy some cheap rotgut booze if you're going to cut it with cola?!?!?!

The stupidity of it reminds me of a jazz musician I knew from E. St. Louis. This guy would always go into the bar and order "Courvoisier VSOP and Coke" :confused: That's like ordering filet mignon and asking for a bottle of ketchup.
  18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody know if you can see it online somewhere?

It's not on air here in Germany.

19. I'm a failed guitarist! I don't make any bones about it. I'd have to say that I was in the same position as you when I watched it. First I thought way too deep into what it was making bassists look like, then I thought, "Advertisers know nothing about us."

Also, I like the earlier comment about the drummers usually being the late ones. That's cause practice is usually at their house and they never have to worry until it's show time.

20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and all of us youngin' know that having our hat backwards means, "Now, we're havin' FUN!" ;)