Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seen the new Mars photo yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thor, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I heard NASA is gonna be parking some
    real expensive RV's in the parking lot!

[​IMG]

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Didn't wal-mart learn that they can't hire aliens?

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

lmao

*da dum CRASH*

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Check it out! Finally a location somewhere in the universe where the folks are decent enough to actually use those "cart corrals!" Not a single stray basket left in the lot -- I'm calling a realtor. Hmmm... better make that a surrealtor.

5. Thor

Keep that within TB, I understand P.Aaron is
    ready to start selling lots.

I believe the first development is going to be
    called "New Sedona".

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...& another.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All they need is a Starbucks and they'll be all set!

BTW, does anyone else think the whole Mars footage is a fake and they're really just filming northern North Dakota?

8. hehe...

Space Burger!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I keep hearing people going on about how great the photos are - but I just think they would be so easy to fake!!

And what do they tell us? :meh:

I think it's typical - Beagle had to operate on a shoestring, so went wrong, but was actually going to do some valuable scientific experiments, that might have told us something new!!

It seems you can only get funding if you agree to send back some nice pics that can be used by the media to fill their empty slots and maybe ...lives? :meh:

Are we really all that shallow, that we only care about pictures...?

10. I always wondered what would happen if they found substantial quantities of gold or diamonds or whatever precious stuff on Mars?

It visibly didn't happen on the Moon since nobody cares about it anymore... :meh:

Anyone else thinking they go to other planets just to find potential sources of income? What will happen then? A new, interplanetary goldrush?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - I think it's quite clear that the "agenda" for visiting other planets is to find somewhere to live when we have messed this planet up beyond redemption, or it has been hit by asteroids or some other natural disaster!

A lot of people think we could terraform Mars if we heated up its polar ice caps, maybe by Nuclear explosions - so it could be habitable.

The Moon is now clearly a non-starter, but could have small stations as "staging posts" maybe?

Everybody knows that Earth won't last forever - but it could be very ironic that the process that may kill earth off - Global warming/Greenhouse Effect - could be what makes other planets like Mars - habitable in the long run!! ;)

12. The human race doesn't have to last forever, either... :ninja:

13. Maybe that's just what they want us to think!

Imagine if they actually found some natural wealth on another planet, what would the big shots of this world aim at?

We all know some people don't care about the future of the Earth, but only care about their wallets.

14. Bruce Lindfield

There are two very good arguments against that :

Firstly - you may find natural resources - but how are you going to transport them anywhere? It cost billions of dollars for the moonshots to get two men on the moon and they really tried to cut down on the weight - it is weight that costs, if you are using fuel.

So - it would cost even more now and yet more again for any planet beyond the moon - the transportation costs would be literally astronomical!! ;) It would be uneconomic.

Secondly - I agree people are greedy but even the most stupid greedy person will realise that if you have no planet to live on, you can't enjoy your wealth - I think it far more likely that greedy people will be trying to buy real estate on new planets for their families to have a better life in the future.

15. True, for the moment. They might find more economical ways to fly trough space in the future... Who knows?

Petroleum industry bigshots don't give a shnitz about the environment, otherwise we'd all be driving electric cars right now, isn't it?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Show us your basses!

:D

17. Bruce Lindfield

They don't care about the environment on Earth, because they think they will be able to buy up prime real estate, wherever we end up going eventually, once Earth is uninhabitable!! ;)

18. Thor

bwaaaHHHHAAAAAAhahhhhahaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaa
    *wipes the coffee off the monitor, again*

19. Bruce Lindfield

Shan't!! :spit:

:D