1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seen this? Vid of Hofner building "Beatle" basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Pro tip. Absolutely turn the sound off and run some Beatles instead. If you like this kind of thing (how it's made video) this is a nice one but ZOMG that music track.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    mngnt, Blankandson, Atshen and 15 others like this.
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Pretty cool. The music is pretty bad! I never knew that Hofner pickup were mounted on top of the body. I was watching it wondering why the heck they were stringing it up and there weren't even holes for the pups...now I know! I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

e-flat, SirMjac28 and gsgbass like this.
  3. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    They had another version of this video with orchestral cover versions of Beatle tunes. It was actually charming, and kind of fitting, since Hofner is also a violin maker.

I do love the sound of SS violin basses, but I find they're not terribly versatile (and a bit finicky).

andruca and ThuzzleFump like this.
  4. Fenderon

Fenderon

May 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Great video, thanks for posting.

gsgbass likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The video explains, At least in part, why the German Hofners are so expensive, still basically hand made, although that doesn't necessarily mean better made than some of the clones. I love Hofners, but they really are insanely overpriced, and the Indonesian made ones are not great quality from what I've seen.

andruca, Jazz Ad and ThuzzleFump like this.
  6. MrNylon

MrNylon "Road Rex" Supporting Member

I like watching these craftsmen, create a Hofner.

ygeEExi.png

7. Nice vid - thanks for sharing. Go Beatles, Go McCartney!

ThuzzleFump and SirMjac28 like this.
  8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Holy crap, you aren't kidding about that "music". At 3:57 I am ready to kill.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  9. Love this video. When people say these are overpriced..look at all the work it takes to build just one. Fender screws a neck to a body, puts a CS decal on the back of the headstock and sells that for well over 3k.

Rocker949, andruca and ThuzzleFump like this.
  10. That was a really cool video. Those violin basses, while I've never owned one, definitely have their own vibe and it's kinda cool.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Great video thanks for sharing I obviously love everything Hofner and it's always good to see how my babies are made.

Rocker949, gsgbass and ThuzzleFump like this.
  12. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I watched it without sound. Very surprised to see the guy cutting the fret slots doing it freehand though!

13. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Glad so many people are enjoying this video. I always like to see how stuff is made, and thought many of you might, too.

14. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I thought that too. I hope he makes LOTS of money. Super skilled.

andruca likes this.
  15. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well lets be fair, it takes a little more than that for a Fender, especially a CS. Btw, I, too, was quite impressed with how much freehand work goes into one of these Hofners. :thumbsup:

Atshen likes this.
  16. I too was amazed that a good portion of these are done free hand. I've always loved Hofners but now even more as I see what really goes into one. I was sure a jig would be used for the frets and nut. Nope. Not needed.

17. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Loved the part where the guy cuts the slots and installs the frets, wow!

Blues Infidel likes this.
  18. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I was impressed by the nailing (pick guard and bridge). I would have assumed they'd use screws or bolts.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  19. Scott C.

Scott C.

Nov 24, 2014
    Washington, USA
    I never wanted one of these before, but now the GAS is strong. Thanks a lot. Heh.

20. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    A friend posted video this on FB today. I also was amazed at the hand work that goes into these basses.