1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Segway yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RWP, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Have one or are getting one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Would like one but too expensive.

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Would not be caught dead on one.

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  4. Never heard of it.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I was wondering what people think about the Segway.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Are those things still around?

Seems like a nice idea that people didn't have a use for.

3. (completely stolen form a popular skit show airing on Saturday nights): I think it'll revolutionize the way people are hit by cars.

Mike

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA

+1

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    I've seen the giddy, glazed look that IT techs and software company managers get when they careen around on those things, latte in one hand, babbling into their Bluetooth... I'm not the least bit bothered by the technology, but I'm fearful of the yuppie baboons that use them.

6. Kind of in the middle. I guess I would spend the money if I had an actual purpose for it. It's really not all that great for an every day commute. No much of a recreational vehicle at top speeds of 12mph.

I don't know. It just seems there design makes them limited.

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I want a Fender Jazz V, or a thousand other things, more. Not on my GAS list. Now if I was to find one discarded....

8. When I was in PA at the airport, I saw a state trooper coming down the hall in full uniform, on a Segway. One of the silliest things I've ever seen.

He wouldn't even let me take his picture. Talk about insult to injury...I can laugh, but have no proof.

Mon

9. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd love to try one. The engineering behind those things is pretty amazing. And they look like fun.

Totally impractical though. I can see them having some limited commercial applications, but for commuting, they're ridiculous.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I love 'em -- gonna take one of those tours in downtown Chicago with my Dad and my boys when the weather gets nice again.

Seems to me they'd be most useful for people who frequently need to get around huge corporate campuses... ("Here, take this over to Henderson in building J.")

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "They see me rollin'
    On my Segway
    I know they all must
    think I'm white and nerdy."

bc

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 That was my first thought! Man did he look goofy! I wonder if Segway sales went down after that video.

Oh, and I didn't vote. My vote would be "I'd never get one, but I would try somebody else's." Since I am already white and nerdy, I have nothing to lose :D

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe if they attached a robotic Segway horse so it at least looked like you were riding a chariot.....

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It looks a bit dorky but I think it's close to perfection for urban areas.
    If I had extra money I'd buy one.

15. I want lots of things more than one, but if I found it in the dollar store, I'd buy three and a chocolate bar

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Nerdmobile.

17. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    no way, never

18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Once they get the current bug out of the system that makes people face-plant on them, I'd like to try one.

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Seems like the ultimate tool for the lazy person.

I'll stick with my two legs, thanks. :rolleyes: