Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sei Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Hi guys - any UK TBers care to post some pics of their Sei basses please? I'm beginning to fall in love with these things - mainly for sound and playability - but I am also getting more infatuated with their looks as well - I'd love to hear some user comments as well - what are they really like to play on different gigs; jazz, funk, rock etc...I really might have to get one.

Thanks in advance....

The Urban Munki

2. Hi Munki

Here is one of three Sei basses I have owned, two of which I still own. They are great basses and very versatile. Martin's attention to detail and customer service both before and after completion is fantastic. I'm pretty sure you would not regret going for one.

Cheers

Nick

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I'm happy with the results I get in a range of settings - it certainly works well for my light strings, low action, gentle touch approach. Mine is Martin's "Flamboyant" design, which is a beautiful combination of sweeping curves and subtle angularity. It's what I'm playing on the recordings at:

http://www.lovesjones.co.uk/music.php

Wulf

4. Yeah guys - they look wicked - I'm sure it's a beautiful thing Wulf but I still like a headstock on my basses, and Nick the single-cut is the way I'm thinking - but whatever they look like, they sound awesome - trouble is there's no way I can afford one yet. The waiting list is currently 9 months so I think it'll be a couple of years yet, but hey I need to get saving soon! Thanks for the pics - Nick any chance of a shot of the back of the neck? Love to see that craftsmanship...

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Here's a pic of my singlecut 5-string... I've gone on about it a fair bit here before, but it's by far the best bass I've ever played, let alone owned. The spec is, wenge body with buckeye burl facings, wenge/bubinga through neck, ebony bound fingerboard with SimS LEDs, custom Kent Armstrong MM/P pickups, U-Retro preamp, and a Hipshot tremolo bridge.

[​IMG]

I've also got a very nice Sei fretless 5 with Wal pickups and electronics... there's a nice pic of it here on the Sei Bass website - http://www.seibass.com/blackflam.html . This one's for sale to finance the next one!

Russ :bassist:

6. That is ....LUSH! :) I've seen the black fretless - very nice - but I just got a custom fretless 5 and I love it - but that single-cut is f***ing awesome dude - how much did that set you back?

PS You can go on about it all you want - got any sound clips?

7. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Here's mine

[​IMG]

ive really got to get some new pic's of her as i've snice had roger from THG make me a set of matching buckeye/zerba knobs which look amazing soooooooooooo much better than the cast black one in this shot

i totally love my SEI it beat's the snot out of every other bass i've ever played atm im trying to save to get a matching fretless built :bassist:

8. That rocks Mr T - I think short of stealing Matt Garrison's Fodera - or suddenly finding myself with 3K and on the short list for a Nordstrand I think that Sei are the closest thing to a 'serious' custom bass I can find over here. I like what Bernie Goodfellow is doing but I think he has a very 1980s style of both build and sound - very much in the vein of a Jay Dee or Alembic - my personal taste is more contemporary and I really like Martin and the gang at te Gallery - perhaps I better order one any way...?!

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The bass set me back about £2500 (well, £2200 plus part-ex with my Conklin GT-5), which isn't bad considering the number of custom appointments on it (the pickups were custom-wound, the U-Retro preamp has been tweaked a bit, the Hipshot trem bridge was the first one Martin's ever done, and the piece of buckeye is unique, not to mention the SimS LEDs). Martin's put his prices up a bit for this year though, so it might be more like £2700-2800 now.

I don't have any soundclips of the bass on its own, but you can hear it in a band context here . As you can hear, it has no problems whatsoever cutting through two guitarists with Les Pauls and Mesa Dual Recs! :D

10. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I tried two of them at the gallery a while ago... they are very nice basses, well constructed, but the action was set-up a bit too low for my taste so I had trouble playing them properly. Sound is really modern and hi-fi.

11. That sounds about right for the current price list - I'm a bit of a dufus when it comes to all this pickup-winding malarky, I get what you're talking about, all I know is the Flamboyant 5 they have in there at the moment - which has an ash body, orange top wood, Bartolini's - sounds gorgeous and is definitely the sound I want from my next bass; I really want that deep, warm but hi-fi tone for all the slap and tap, but with the creamy sound there for some deep fingerstyle pocket stuff - I think you guy know what I mean!

Hi Ari - how's things? Speaking of low action, I wanted the action even lower on the F5 I tried! But that's just my style - they are lovely basses - and I really want a single cut - ooooh yeah!

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Mine was second-hand, bought from the Gallery. At the time I was looking at speccing out a custom instrument with another builder but I ventured into Martin's little domain and found an instrument that had all the key characteristics that I wanted (six string headless with wide string spacing and bart pickups).

I'd been thinking about some small differences in shapes and woods but I was swayed by the fact that I got to hear what it sounded like before committing my money, that it was a lot cheaper than getting the instrument built from scratch and there was no waiting period.

... and that's how I ended up with Flamboyant #003. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on the Sei basses that end up returning to the Gallery for resale!

Wulf

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey Thonk, Were you on Hotline or Haxial KDX at all, I know I've seen that bass before.

14. Martin at Sei is oneof the great *Unknown* bass people... fantasticbasses, supurb attention to detail... right up there with the best..

I really like them but for me, its not the sound i am after.. they are very agressive and subtle at the same time which is what i like but its just compared to the Jazz and Flam..there are others out there that do it better for the price.. GB, Marleaux, Shuker, Elrick..

But sei's do look stunning .!!!

but just make atrip down to london to play one....or there is talk sei basses will be at music live 2004...but who knows.!!!

Russ's bass the LED sei singlecut is amoung my favs!! :)

15. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Zenbass> What's "music live 2004" - some sort of music trade show in the U.K.? What are the dates?

urbmunki> how are you? Are you gigging currently?

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's like a tiny eeny weeny NAMM - in Birmingham in the UK.

the website is: www.musiclive.co.uk but it appears to be down at the moment :)

17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The sound I was after was basically something that combined the thickness of a P-bass sound with the bite of a 70's-era Stingray, so we got Aaron Armstrong to make an overwound 5-string P-bass pickup in a 40DC-sized aperture, and a 5-string MM-type pickup wound to 70's Stingray specs. The results speak for themselves... ;)

The next Sei will be tailored more towards a super-J sound with custom Kent Armstrong J-bass pickups and the Aguilar EQ. I'm also considering asking Martin to make it a singlecut bolt-on, along the same lines at the new Benavente SC bolt-on. :)

18. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK

Yep you might also know me as Gizmo from spamish...maybe ;)

19. Yeah dude - I checked out the tune your posted and the bass kicks butt. I'm going for something a little more 'zingy' but that's just my personal taste - but hey, this is all just a little fantasy of mine right now - but I have changed my mind - or rather made up my mind - that Sei are really great basses, depending on your preference, but as UK luthiers go, these guitars are up there with th best of them - and you don't have to worry about getting a US made bass - UK all the way!

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've always like Martin's Jazzers.