Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SEI Jazz 5 vs MM Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 22, 2002.

1. SEI Jazz 5 or MM Stingray 5

i'v decided to try and move away from the more obscure 'boutique bass' look, and go for a more mainstream instrument next.
    i'd like any opinions on the two basses above....
    i'v thought about it a little and come up with these points
    The SEI, i can have 24 frets if i want, Neck thru if i want it, my choice of woods (therefore, classic shape/sound, sexier looks), and i can get LEDS :)
    The MM, amazingly distinct sound, oozes style.

please add to this list
    cheers

*Si*

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    From my point of view, the MM wouldn't even be in the running. I always wonder why a European, who could get a gorgeous British, German, Italian, or even French bass without the high prices associated with these in America (if they're available at all), would get a Fender or EB. While I may be in disagreement with the majority of TBers, I think of Fender as the most boring design you could possibly have. The European basses that I find most disappointing are the Fender copies. While something from Sei, Manne, Leduc, Basslab- I could go on- would be amazing, and I'll probably never even see one!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dude, no contest! Get the Sei!!

4. I agree with Woodchuck. Sei is the way to go...

5. i was thinking about it at work 2nite....and i'v decided i'll go with the SEI, i'm going to The Gallery to have a talk with Martin in a few weeks time, mainly to buy some piccolo strings, but i'll problt price out a nice lil 5 string jazz :)
    hopefully something along the lines of.....[​IMG]
    or.... [​IMG]

but with purple LEDS :)

ooooo excitment

*Si*

6. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    If you have the money and you can stand the wait:) SEI bass rule! The only bass that has seemed "perfect" was a SEI fretless jazz 5 at the time I played it at their shop I didn't play fretless and so I left it:(.
    On the other hand SEI are not the only custom bass luthiers in the UK and they are not the cheapest either. You could look at these:

http://www.shucker.com
    http://www.mansons.co.uk/manson_guitars/hand-made-basses.html
    http://www.gbguitars.clara.net/
    http://ebasses.co.uk/
    http://www.overwater.co.uk/
    http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/default.htm

Matt

7. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Plus there are lots of luthiers that don't have web pages (eg Jeff Chapman - a luthiers in Brighton). Some are more expensive than others and some will take longer to produce the instrument.
    Don't forget that you are having your bass made for you, and can have the neck profile, pickups, woods, scale length... that suit you. If you love the feel of and sound of a Musicman you could always buy one, just because JT has a custom-double-neck-8-string doesn't make it best for everyone:D - I can't handle more than 5 strings myself:).
    I hope this doesn't sound like a lecture I have spent a long time thinking about getting a custom instrument:). As have lots of others (Oysterman)...

Matt

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think the reasons people do it could be very simple. MM's and Fenders, like it or not, have very identifiable sounds. You can have the prettiest, most alluring looking bass in the world, if it doesn't have the sound I want, it's furniture.

Also don't ever underestimate the adage "the grass is always greener...". I've never played a Sei but I'd love to and in this situation I'd definitely put it as my frontrunner.

There's another adage, "familiarity breeds contempt". If you're like me you've seen a bazillion Fenders and Musicman basses. We sometimes covet the things that aren't readily available to us.

Given all that, I can't say what I'd do from the point of view of living in Europe and actually being exposed to all of those builders. I'm in the US and from that perspective I'd go with the Sei, Shuker or something of that ilk.

9. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    I agree with Brad, unfortunetly I don't have his skill with words (or basses if his mp3 is anything to go by:)).

Matt

10. the reason y i wanted a more 'recognisable' shape is because of something my teacher said to me...the amount of times he almost lost a gig/session because people saw him pull out his warwick thumb 6, people in that kinda industry wanna see a classic/vintage bass etc, and i agree with him, and seeing as this is something i wanna get into (he's already thrown a few gigs my way), i wanna aim to get a fairly classic looking bass.
    i tried the SEI Jazz 5 a few weeks back, ad loved it, bit heavy, but hey, what jazz isn't.
    tnx for all your input though

*Si*

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Matt. And Si-bob, you're absolutely right, unfortunately, looks can still matter. You can either try to tilt against that windmill or work in the system. Fortunately once you get established it may be different... maybe;)

12. i agree, if your a superstar session guy, like nathan east etc, u can use what u like...unforntunatly, us little guys gotta start somewhere :)..FORTUNATLY, fender aren't the only ones making 'classic' shapes anymore...and anyway, if i get a SEI jazz with a MM pickup AND a jazz pickup over the MM itself, then i'm getting the best of both worlds!

cheers
    *Si*

13. heres the Specification i'll hopefully be running over with Martin :

34" Scale
    5 String
    1 Piece Maple bolt-on Neck
    Figured Maple Fingerboard
    22 or 24 Fret (not sure yet)
    Carbon Fibre Reinforcment

Swamp Ash Body
    American Walnut facing

Black ABM Hardware
    Violet LEDS
    Bartolini 9J and MM5 Pickups
    Bartolini 2 Band EQ, active/passive
    Hipshot Ultra Lite Tuners
    Jim Dunlop Straplocks

any additions/suggestions, please say

*Si*

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    With the Bartolini MM5 pickup I'd get a coil tap, it can give you something closer to a Jazz bass bite than a humbucker in the bridge position.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why the 1 piece neck? with a 5 string i'd want a 3 piece for stability.

just my thoughts though - i play a 7 piece so don't mind me :)

jason

16. the 1 piece neck is their standard specification, i'm not really a wood working kinda guy, so i'm not sure about all that 'more pieces = stability' stuff, someone will have to enlighten me :)

*Si*

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There are a ton of extremely stable one piece necked basses out here. There was a school of thought that concluded that multiple laminate necks were better. Michael Tobias was doing this back in the 70's.

Guess how many pieces he uses now?

MTD, Lakland, Sadowsky, Lull, Elrick, Fender... they all make one piece necks, though some do use a second piece of the same wood and a scarf joint for their headstock.

Remember, the most important thing about any bass is the sum of the parts.

18. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    It will be wicked, I'm jealous:). Good choice of Swamp Ash, if you want to keep the weight down. Talk to Martin about what you want he can help you, if you are not certain about sound, weight, stability... One-piece necks are fine if the wood is properly treated and Martin and Andy(?) know what they are doing. With the Graphite you have no need to worry.
    If you get a 24 fret neck the cut-away has to be slightly deeper, I personally think 24 is the way to go:).

Matt

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes. I agree with what people have said here- that people expect to see, and often will only accept, something that looks like a Precision or Jazz.

And that regardless of looks, it's only furniture if it doesn't sound good.

But in a way, that's my point- a bass can be look like something from Mars, and sound dead nuts like a Jazz. (As though all Jazzes sounded the same.) Or, have some other sound that sits perfectly and easily in a mix. Or it can look like a Precision, with the right shape body and headstock, and sound like an Alembic. Or sound horrible. Or like a Precision. It's just a little sad that since people listen with their eyes before using their ears, that some instruments are out of the running- especially the attractive ones!

It's almost like there was an unwritten law, "You MUST drive a Ford, or at least something that will blend in with all the other Fords!"