Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sei owners.. your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Nov 30, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Well, i keep seeing these beautiful basses and my curiosity is very aroused!! what do they sound like?? and feel?? i need info , i may be ordering one- when i saw the ones with the Amboyna sap tops, that was it!! i have to look into these- are there dealers in the US?-
    prices and waiting time- i need your feedback- thanks!!

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    [​IMG]

Check out www.seibass.com.

There are no dealers - they are built to order by Martin Petersen at The Bass Gallery (www.thebassgallery.com), although there are often a couple of used Sei basses in the store. I have visited the Bass Gallery to have Martin set up my Yamaha bass - he did a great job. His basses are equal in quality to any of the top US brands. Prices start at around £1300 (again, check the website for full options and prices), which is very good value when you consider the cost of foreign-built "pro" instruments over here.

A number of UK TBers have tried/owned Sei basses. Hopefully some of them will chip in soon. 'Nick Bassman' received a new Sei recently - there was a thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=63524&highlight=sei

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Try this link. It has sound clips for Quite Sane's new release, The Child of Troubled Times. The bassist, Anthony Tidd, uses a headless Sei. Listen from track 2 on.

4. Adrian

I was at his workshop yeaterday and during our conversation he said that he had only built about 300 basses over the 10 years he has been in business so he is a small scale builder. I can confirm that Martin does not have dealers preferring instead to deal direct with people so that they get what they ordered.

He has a small but very nice range of instruments and will build a bass to produce the sound you want. From the artists list you can see that they cover all styles of music from blues/rock, Jazz to pop/chart music so they are very versitile. He will offer sound advice as to what will or will not work but at the same time is not afraid to build one off's or start a new line in basses.

He has started to build single cut basses which are not on the website and there is a [poor] picture of his second one of these on the 'pics of buckeye' thread. I posted some shots of my bass on that thread and in two of the shots you can see the single cut in the background.

Best to give him a ring and discuss with him. It takes about 8 months for a bass to be built so you will need to be patient if you do place an order. As you can see from his website he has a great eye for wood and gets some really choice pieces. I agree that the Amboyna sap wood is particularly good. His attention to detail and build quality are amongst the very best I have seen.

Regards

Matthew

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Mr Petersen builds exceedingly fine basses - I know, because I'm privileged to have one in my collection (6 string headless with Amboina front).

His web site is out of date but you could give him a call. The downside would be the waiting time and not easily being able to pop over to speak to him. I know he's built for people in the States before, but you mind find it more efficient to seek a US based builder.

They are stunningly good though...

Wulf

6. Hi Adrian

Not really much more I can add to the previous posters.

I have had three of these wonderful basses made and each one has been fantastic. I am fortunate enough to own/have owned a number of top brands Fodera/Ken Smith/Modulus and Martin's basses are the equal of any of these, coupled to this you truly get a custom bass. Martin is very receptive to your personal needs and therefore I don't think you can really generalise with regards to feel and sound. Martin will ascertain what your needs are and you will get a bass to suit you !!

As you can tell I'm more than a fan of these amazing instruments. I do think it would be a help to see the woods before you choose but I'm sure if you can't Martin will aid you.

Good luck in your Sei quest, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Nick

7. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    How do these compare to a Wal??:D

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i obviously havent played the Sei- but i have played a Wal - cool bass, not for me- it reminds me of the Mark King tone- kinda very hi fi - its a good tone, but im into a fat, full tone- i dont know what s happening to me. I am getting too freking finicky in my old age- i hate to be a snob, but its getting increasingly harder to find all the qualities i need in a bass--

9. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I guess you need more than one bass huh??

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    youre right- i need more than one bass- at times ive owned 6- and i have a bass business- so there could be 20 basses here at any time-- but i dont want to be switching basses in the middle of a set--
    the Wal did some things great- it has the wired fret for midi to boot!- but when i need a Fender/ Sadowsky kinda fat sound- its not there--

11. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, but is the workmanship on par with Wishnevsky?

13. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Munji, you're funny...:rolleyes: