Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sei vs. Shuker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is anybody out there who has had experience of both these bass builders?

If so, what did you like the most about each? Advantages/Disadvantages if you will...

I have visited The Gallery and had the chance to play some of Martin's Sei creations and was mightily impressed, but I was wondering how Jon Shuker's basses fair against such stiff competition.

Interested in hearing alternatives too...

I'm in the process of specing (?) a custom bass but don't know who I want to build it for me yet.

Cheers guys

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    While I've never played either, I can say that if you've played Martin's basses before, and you haven't played Shuker's, then you should probably go with Sei. Despite if everyone likes Shuker's, it's still a huge gamble to invest THAT much money in a bass you haven't played before that you won't be able to return if you don't like it.

I've only heard the best about both of them, but I would probably go with Sei just based on looks.

3. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    this is not loads of help as i've never played Shuker; but i have a Sei flamboyant.:)

Go with what you've played......shuker look nice, but Sei are somthing special. As you probably know, they're great guys at the gallery, and will help you greatly choosing features.

I guess the only drawback with Sei is that they're so good everyone wants one, which could leave you waiting a while for yours.......................................................................................................................But it's worth it

Peace

4. I had the same Dilemma wen wishing for a new bass :) i probly won't get to try a Shuker bass if i were to order one, so, for me, there out of the picture!.
    I to have visited The Gallery, and they are a good bunch of people......and i'm currently saving for a SEI Jazz 5 (amoungst other things :rolleyes: :) ), go fer SEI, more options, nicer looks, played by some BIG names, so tried and tested!

*Si*

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Thanks for your input guys,

I had been leaning towards Sei anyway... but I really don't know what I'm after at all!

I quite fancy a flamboyant 5, but I like their Jazz basses too (and I have a real lust for a Sadowsky Vintage 5 style bass)... I may just have to save like there's no tomorrow and order a sei flamboyant and a sei jazz! I wonder if you get a discount for buying in bulk!!!

Hey lowb, how about a review of your flam. then?

Cheers guys.

6. hey
    hope this helps!
    SEI Flamboyant 6 Review

have u been to their website, theres some amazing basses on there, my bass teacher almost got one after being told about them by Cortney Pine's bassist! he said he would have if martin hadn't have been seeling a Thru-Neck thumb 6 for £1200 :)

*Si*

7. There pretty basses, very simple, but whats with the headstock?

Played a Flamboyant 6 fretted last week, very nice around the octave > up but the low end really was a turnoff, it felt akward and transparent.

The top end, like i said was nice, the neck there had a really nice profile, and was slcik to play on it's maple board.

You are reading a post from an Overwater player, but that deson't affect my judgement.

Play as many basses as you can, look at all the builders you can.

OH, did i mention OVERWATER :) HAVE A LOOK HERE

the basses site is currently down, but have a look at the site above, or come down to the yahoo club below.

stu

8. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Yeah I have that issue of bassist and I've drooled over the review in it longingly on many occasions...

Just wanted to know what it was like to live with a Flamboyant for a longer period of time (not that I don't trust the opinion of the guys in the magazine - it's just it's not their bass as they admit - what's it like actually going through the whole process and ending up with exactly what you wanted)

lowb - what sort of spec is your flamboyant? Is there anything about it you would change if you were to order it over again? Have you any pics for the rest of us to drool over?

Cheers

9. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi tyburn

thanks for the suggestion... I have tried Overwater before, a long time ago so I can't really remember that much about it - except that although it was nice, I felt it wasn't for me... it was the model similar to the one you would see John Entwistle (sp?) totting sometimes.

I played a Flamboyant 6 string in The Gallery in January (i think it was January) and was amazed at how good it was.

It had a maple + 'something' headed neck with an ebony board, a maple body and amboina facings, Bart triple coils with coil taps and piezo ABM bridge AND a midi interface. If my credit card hadn't already been maxed out I would have left with it even though a) I'm not a 6 string player and b) I have absolutely no desire to become a six string player! c)who needs a midi pickup anyway! (no offence to anybody who does)...

It was without a doubt the best sounding bass I've evr played by a country mile! I've lived on their website ever since, drooling......drooling......

10. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Hi

Just for the record, I have both an Overwater and a Sei :D
    and I'm very aware how blessed i am

But anyway, I've only had my Sei a few months, and i got it used (so i didn't choose options) However it sounds like the one you (Bigwan) tried now belongs to me :p

I had the midi removed so the piezo's could work, and had it defretted. I've also had the electronics updated with the new 9v bartolini circuit, so it sounds better than before.

I'll try an get some pics.......there can't be too many sei six's with the midi thing.

And yes it is a Peach

I was thinking of ordering one from Martin, but i didn't want to wait ages for it, and this was a better bass than i could afford new.

I have to say both Overwater, and Sei bass are FANTASTIC........i guess i couldn't choose between them :)

If i have time i'll wright a review soon, but i reckon since you've played mine, you know why i got it!!!

Peace

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Congratulations! An absolutely gorgeous instrument...
    Wouldn't ask anybody to choose between 2 instruments of that caliber...

I officially hate you though...

It was mine! Mine I tell you.. My precious....

Sorry - lapsed into 'Lord of the Rings' mode there!

12. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Hehehe....cool.........good luck with the bass choosing, whichever one you go for Shuker, Overwater, Sei, or whatever.........keep us posted with your final choice.

Peace

13. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    here goes nothin........I've never put a picture on before, and its not a great photo.....

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    [​IMG]

Cool looking bass lowb

I have played various Sei basses on and off since 94 as I am an irregular customer of Martin's.

The advantage of ordering one is that you can have whatever you want in terms of well everything. Martin will work hard to get you what you want whether its to make a Sei or order a Musicman 5 (which is what he did for me).

15. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi again lowb

I don't think that's the same one I played when I was at the gallery... as far as i can recall, the one I played didn't have the full facings on the front (ie. you could see the 'neck-thru') - a beauty nonetheless!

Still officially hate you!

16. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Thats cool........i'm surprised that there's been two six string flamboyants with the onboard midi, but having played mine i can see why :D

Peace