Seinberger= entry level?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jun 13, 2001.

1. I just looked at, and the Steinies there are <$300. So are they entry level or not? I've heard people say they are some of the best basses built, but were they tweeking or what?
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    There is 2 kinds of steingerger
    Old one where very good bass, made of graphite, very expensive.
    The new one are cheap made somewhere in asia i guess and made of wood.
    They are entry level bass.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The MusicYo Steinbergers are without a doubt "entry level" and pretty good for the price. If I were just starting out, I think a MusicYo Steinberger (Called a Steinberger Spirit) is a more than adequate instrument. It's also a great spare or travel bass. I used to have a 5-string and it was not bad at all.

I still own a REAL Steinberger, however. Before Steinberger was bought out by Gibson (Where instruments go to die), Steinbergers were made of a sort of plastic polymer. The Instruments were not lightweight, but they balanced perfectly. You see, Ned Steinberger (who also designed the Spector NS series) is really a furniture designer who applied principles of ergonomics to the design of musical instruments.

But all that is gravy. How do the Spirit and the real thing compare? Well, the Spirit is made of wood in Korea and has EMG select pickups, while the Pre-Gibson one was made of Synthetics in the USA and had EMG soapbars. Of course, the Korean version costs $300 while the original was going for $3000 before Gibson discontinued them. Bastards. There is word that Gibson willreintroduce the Steinberger, but It's a six month old rumor, so I'm skeptical. I can't quite compare the two becasuse my Stein is fretless and my Spirit was a fretted 5-string (Nice B for the price, by the way) I think the Spirit is at least as good as the Hohner knockoff, but without that annoying LED.

4. I have had a mach 1 copy for about 20 years it plays just as good as a real fancy brand name bass and has taken a beatin you dont have to keep them in a case or baby them just pick them up and play
  5. Whoa, three..... THOUSAND??? Ack.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I really liked my steinberger spirit... a great fun bass to play. But MusicYo sent it to me with a big chip in the body so I returned it to them for replacement and it has not come back after more than a month.

My advice, once you get it... keep it.

I am definately itchin' for it back.
  7. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    The best source for a real Steinberger these days is eBay. Depending on condition, they run between $700 - $1,500 for a 4 string XL and $1,000 - $1,800 for a 5 string XL. The wood body, graphite neck models sell for about 50 - 75% of the above process.

I think I'd rather have a MIM Jazz than a Spirit, given the quality comparison is similar.

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a black Spirit fretless five-string, and I gig with it sometimes. It is so convenient. I like the tone I get with flatwounds and and the B string is good. Although I have basses that sound better, I have a lot of affection for the little thing. It could use a better bridge, and the pickups are rather weak, but for a back-up that can step up when needed, it is great. It was a good investment.

I've developed a love recently for cheapo basses. I have a Danelectro and a Spirit, in addition to my two good basses, and I play them about half the time.
  9. Well, basicly the smaller body doesn't really have a detrimental effect on the tone? It seems that some people swear that bigger bodies equal better tone.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a pair of 'em (one soon to be defretted), and love them to pieces. I actually prefer the sound of the wood necked Spirit to the all composite originals, but that's just me.

I don't understand people wanting to classify basses as "entry level" or "not entry level". As long as the construction and electronics are adequate, what's the difference? Price is not a foolproof indicator!

So you know, before MusicYo became the sole source of Steinberger Spirits, they were sold through stores with an average street price of $500+, as I recall.
  11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Concerning the small body, the Spirits have thick bodies, and are heavier than they look. I have played the original Steinbergers, and I also prefer the wood bodies. I did like the way the strap was attached to the originals. The Spirit was really neck-heavy, which surprised me considering that there is no headstock. The strap button is too far back. I inlaid a metal piece onto the upper bout that extends about eight inches out toward the headstock end. This balances the bass perfectly. I hate trying to play a bass that I have to support with my left hand.
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My Spirit is my only non-boutique bass, (unless you don't consider my '75P fretless in that class)and it is a keeper. I use a comfort strapp and it stays put. I like the sound of them better than the plastic Steinies. I wouldn't mind upgrading the PUPs however, B-A are strong, D-G are a little weak.
  13. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I had a Spirit 5-stringer for a while but decided I could not get used to five strings. Sound was really neat, though. Kinda punchy and thick in the mids. I imagine it to be a good rock/techno bass. I did enjoy its short overall length and excellent sustain. I am toying with buying a 4 string verson.