Seinfeld Theme

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by juicy_J, Dec 16, 2005.

1. juicy_J

Aug 8, 2005
    We all know the funky slap bass theme to Seinfeld, but what are its mysterious origins? Is it done on a real bass or a keyboard? If it is a real bass, who recorded it?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. Heard it was done on a keyboard
  4. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    C'mon, it's obviously not a real bass! :eyebrow: ... :smug:

But I seem to recall Les Claypool doing a version of it on some unofficial live recording.
  5. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Fred Astaire on Taurus pedals, I think.
  6. It was done on a keyboard, forget the guys name though. This has been covered before. Still an awesome slap line, I'd like to find some tabs for it if possible, but every one I've seen is terribly inaccurate.

@ Middlebit---I heard a rumor a while ago that Claypool was in fact the one that recorded it for the show, but that turned out to be BS. I don't think he had anything to do with this song, but if you're sure about that, PLEASE let me know if you ever get a recording of it.
  7. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    @ MikeyFingers: It's probably a goose. I heard a live version (only a short clip) played on a real bass in a nasty manner, it could defintely have been Les. It said it was the Frog Brigade or something (I haven't heard their stuff). Trouble is, I came across it at some torrent site, so there's no way know who that was playing. Maybe the guy posting it heard 'Les Claypool is the guy who plays the theme from Seinfeld', and stuck that name on there.
    Sorry to make your heart jump like that!! ;)

And on the subject of this theme, I'm sooo tired of watching the show in company of friends(and enemies).Every time that theme plays, they tend to turn around and look at me (I play bass) and go 'that's pretty hot bass playing huh' or some crap. Yeah, that's not bad for a synth! :rolleyes:
  8. Hahaha, I know exactly how you feel. Everyone looks at me expectingly, and the inevitable question pops up: "Can you play that!!??". Then I either have to say No and hear their bitching for an hour, or I have to find some inaccurate tabs, play it wrong, then hear their ooos and ahhs while I butcher some song I don't want to learn laughing to myself because they can't even tell it's the wrong notes. God I hate non-bassists.