1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seismic Audio Cabs - help !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pnut166, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I have a 410 and 210 Seismic Audio cabs. While I have read generally decent things about them, honestly, mine sound like ass. For those unfamiliar with them, they are MDF cabs, no tweeter or dampening, with Chinese drivers. They are extremely boomy, at any volume or EQ. Does anyone have experience with these cabs or know any tricks to improve them ? Add batting ? Change the port size ? EQ suggestions?Set `em by the road ?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The last. You might get them to barely acceptable with adequate bracing and damping. But it might be a wasted effort with the cheap drivers. You don't always get what you pay for, there are certainly high priced cabs that don't deliver what they should. But when a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Try blocking off the ports or reducing their sizes. Seems like cheap cabs tend to be tuned too high IME. If you're feeling ambitious measure the outer cab and the size and depth of the present ports and someone can tell you for sure. But it's easiest to just block them and see if the cab sounds "better" - if so then you can figure out the "right' thing to do with 'em.

4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I've been using a 210 for a number of years. I needed something cheap to leave at the drummer's house. Yes, the cab is cheaply built. Yes, the 8ohm cab's speakers are a six-bolt pattern and only screwed into plywood which had voids in it. No, it doesn't look like it would stand up to life on the road. You know what? I really like the way mine sounds. I do use either a BDDI or VT, depending on what amp I use. My basses, both passive and active, strung with flats, are notoriously dull sounding. I think a good preamp is the key. I think it sounds as good as my Avatar Neo B210. Just my experience.

X8 :bassist:

5. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I never owned a rig, and this one came up ridiculously cheap on CL. The seller claimed his newborn was asleep upstairs, so I coudn`t actually turn the volume up. :eyebrow:And what little info that is here on TB seemed like they`d be sufficient. They sounded okay at speaking level, and it was all I could possibly afford. I needed something loud, and it gets loud...boomy, honky loud. My other amp is a Line 6 LD 150. It sounds great - rich, deep, full and dynamic. This rig, however, just sounds like BAM BAM BAM !!! No tone at all :(

6. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    first thing i'd do is take the grille off, pull one of the drivers,
    and inspect the inside of the cab . if it looks less than rigid , you can start by removing the rest of the speakers and
    investing $6 in a tube of liquid nails and an 8' 2x4 from
    home depot .

use the LQ nails to caulk around any unbraced intersections
    of the panels . then cut the lumber to be a snug fit between
    the speaker board and the back of the cab , and glue in place with th LN's and a couple drywall screws to hold in place while
    the glue dries.(put 3 or 4, evenly spaced around the cab front.)

let it cure overnight , and try it again . it shouldn't rattle anymore.

edit:
    don't forget to caulk under the handles and jackplate- they can rattle at volume too .

if it still is boomy, stuff a t-shirt into the port to close it
    and try it out . if that's still boomy , get 2-$2 pillows from
    a thrift store , gut 'em and stuff the cab w/ the fiber.

if that doesn't work......forget it, and move on.
    you've only spent $10 trying.

7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I looked up the dimensions of those cabs and really think they'd sound WAY better with the ports closed off. The 2x10 has two ports - try just stuffing a rag in one (as "madmachinist" suggested) and see if that does it :) .

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Without knowing the driver specs there's absolutely no basis for drawing that conclusion. But if the drivers are of the likely $10 variety they probably are very high Qts and could benefit from sealing the cab, but not before filling it with polyester pillow stuffing.
    A 2x4 is eight times the mass required. 1x1s are sufficient.

9. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    The Fitzmaurice strikes again! Good advice as always, good sir.

10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The cheapness of the cabs implies that the drivers are as you speculate - in any case the easiest (and free) thing to do is to block the ports and give it a listen :) . I agree that increasing the apparent volume of these shallow cabs by stuffing them is a good idea but if they don't sound significantly better with just the ports blocked I'd not bother to waste any more time or materials on them. But I'll bet all you all a beer they can be significantly improved with just the ports blocked :) .

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It all depends on the driver Qts. Many higher Q drivers, like the Alpha Ten, can give virtually identical small signal results in both sealed and vented cabs of the same size, so blocking the port may have no audible effect, while stuffing it would.
    Stuffing doesn't increase apparent volume, it lowers Q. There are similarities in the result but they're not the same thing.

12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I have 1x15 and 2x10 Seismic Audio cabinets. This thread is very relevant and I look forward to more discussion on this!!

13. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Very, very good suggestions, guys. My gut tells me these cabs can sound decent, with a little help. Excited to try these tips. I know there is no dampening in them, and I doubt there is much in the way of bracing - the cabs are pretty light. I`m sure they sell alot of these due to the price (the SX of cabs lol), so this thread should have relevance for others. Appreciate all the help so far ! Hopefully this weekend I can try these mods and maybe post a few before / after clips :)

14. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    What is your opinion of the cabs ?

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I`m using an old Trace Eliott GP11 mkV preamp. However, I have a XT Live on the way ...

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bracing and damping material will help, as will lowering the tuning frequency. But I'm surprised no-ones recommended adding a high frequency driver of some sort? Piezo tweeter(s) will be the cheap and easy option. Or perhaps an Alpha 6 mid with an appropriate crossover?

17. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The cheap arse speakers in these cabs probably have decent high-end anyways - plus we're gettin' into obsessive turd polishing territory here I think?
    :D

Seriously to the OP:
    I'd highly recommend doing one change at a time and stopping when you're happy with the sound.
    :)

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I like them ok. Not the best by far but workable. With the budget so tight...you play what you can afford.

I've gigged with them and they did fine. Of course I'm stacking money to upgrade to Avatar cabs at some point in hte near future.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Gee. Ya think? I mean, there could be a Meyer cab in there, just waiting to get out ; }

Frankly, if someone is very discerning that's going to take them right back to the step above: excessive turd polishing.

20. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    i think we all use what we can afford.

sure... if you play a $3500 bass guitar , have a $2000 amp,
    then , cheap-o cabs are just junk to you.

to the less fortunate, the younger players, or the casual
    enthusiast ... it may be all they can afford at the time
    and want to make the best of what's available.

if i can fix a $100 4x10 for $10 , then i could spend the
    money i'd have to save to get a cab that cost much more
    on something else (food- bills - rent- a new compressor...)

i'm not calling snobbery... but give these guys a break.