1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seismologists Tried for Manslaughter for Not Predicting Earthquake

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 26, 2011.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Italian Police: "Are you a seismologist?"
    Seismologist: "Uhhhh, no! I'm a ... uhhhh ... a paleontologist. Yeah, that's right, I'm a paleontologist!"

Is this stupid, or what?

2. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I don't honestly know what to say.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm with this guy, especially since I don't know Italian law at all (not that I know USA's). My gut reaction though was "Wow, that sounds rather drastic."

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've never heard of tremors in the earth that didn't indicate the possibility of an earthquake (or other natural disaster). Those seismologists may have been sleeping on the job, or paid off by the mob, but regardless--the population should have protected themselves when they started feeling tremors.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's got to be a political move.

[SUB]Oooops. Can I even say political?[/SUB]

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That's a joke, right?

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, I'm from San Francisco, and when you feel tremors, you get in a door frame or under a heavy table. You don't watch TV to find out whether somebody thinks there could be an earthquake.

8. Everyone on TB should evacuate now. There have been tremors. Everywhere.

9. Wait... the government can do that?! The meteorologists better start running now while the feds have their attention directed elsewhere.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They're not talking about foreshocks, they're talking about a smaller EQ that occured 1 week before the one that killed people.

"No officer, I'm a paleoseismologist! I study earthquakes, but ones that happened in the past." :p

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The Bay Area has small earthquakes all the time. They have not had a large one since October 17, 1989 (I was there). Are you saying you step into a doorway every time you feel a small earthquake? Most people I know in the Bay Area joke about them.

There is no way those seismologists could have predicted a large earthquake based on small tremors. Here's today's earthquake map for California. The ones in yellow are less than a week old, blue are less than 24 hours old, and red are in the last hour. You want to predict a major earthquake from this? (BTW, that link is always current, so if there's a big earthquake in California, you can come to this thread, click that link, and get the details with 5 minutes of its occurrence.)

Seismologists predict earthquakes based on probabilities over periods of years. Here is the earthquake prediction map for California. You'll note they don't have any predicted for next week.

[​IMG]

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I guess my point is that they knew they lived someplace that earthquakes occurred, so they should have reinforced their buildings. We can't predict earthquakes reliably, and there's no sensible way to say when people should or shouldn't evacuate from an earthquake threat. So if you want to live someplace earthquakes happen, have a personal safety plan, and expect a freakin' earthquake at some point.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I was there too. No, I don't step into a doorway every time, but I would look to see that there's a safe-ish place nearby in case it gets worse. Note that my whole angle is personal responsibility--I would not expect anyone to evacuate from an earthquake zone, because you just can't be sure about earthquakes--but I would expect people to not get crushed in their homes from a 6.3, and then blame it on the guy on TV who said not to worry.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Also, you may not be aware that the seismic risk in the Pacific Northwest is high, with the possibility of a Magnitude 9 earthquake occurring on the Cascadia Subduction zone. The style of faulting there is different from the transform faulting in California, rather, it's thrust faulting capable of generating a tsunami comparable to the one that happened in Japan. These types of faults also generate significant vertical ground accelerations which play havoc on structures not designed to weigh up to twice as much as they do.

Here's a seismic risk map for Oregon, with a little article.

[​IMG]

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As a science educator, I find scientific illiteracy amongst the general populace amusing or frustrating, depending on mood. When I read about decisions like this being based on it, then it becomes alarming.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's been a regular news item in all the papers and radio stations etc. for as long as I've been here. "Not if, but when" is the tagline they always close with. IOW, I know I live in a place that's at risk for a quake--and so should everyone else here that sees or hears any news.

What, you think I should evacuate?

17. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Joke about them, heck I miss them. I was in the Orinda Safeway when Loma Prieta hit. It was like being on a really sketchy roller coaster while being pelted in the head with jars of cheese whiz and salad dressing. But I've take an earthquake over a tornado any day.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You're living in lala land. The seismologists' statement was released six months before the earthquake. So let's say they said, "Yep, it looks like there's going to be a big earthquake." Then what? Everybody evacuates and waits for six months? Or drink their wine under a heavy table for six months?

What exactly do you think the results would have been if the seismologists had predicted the earthquake? They would have been exactly the same because people would have gone on with their lives, especially after the first week or two of waiting. People who live in seismically active areas should be prepared for earthquakes at any time. Even the M[SUB]w[/SUB]9 that happened off Japan came as somewhat of a surprise to experts.

Frankly, all the preparation in the world is not going to do you much good in an M[SUB]w[/SUB]9 earthquake, especially if you live in an area where building codes are either nonexistent or not enforced. People died in a M[SUB]w[/SUB]5.1 in Spain just a few weeks ago. Here, a 5.1 is a minor annoyance. The people who should be prosecuted are the contractors and building inspectors that allowed structures to be built that would not withstand the shaking.

Japan is probably the most earthquake-prepared country in the world. While few people died as a result of the ground shaking, over 25,000 died from the tsunami. There is no doubt in my mind that the residents of those devastated prefectures would not have left in the face of a vague prediction that an earthquake was going to happen.

Bottom line, the prosecution of those Italian seismologists is sheer idiocy.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Exactly my point. They are predicting a very large earthquake for your area. It could happen 10 minutes from now or 100 years from now. What are you doing to prepare? Nothing, I'll bet.

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, we've descended to the point that you're just being a troll. Never mind. *exit*