Seizures- Help!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fo' Shizzle, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Hello to all...........

Fo' is in freakout mode. My oldest daughter (9) had a seizure at school this past week. She's never had any problem like this before. I happened to be at home when this happened and I was by her side 10 minutes after it went down. She was terrified. She didn't remember anything about the episode.

I just re-read the above paragraph.... I'm barely making sense. I've slept beside her for last three nights. Anytime she moves I wake up and she if she's OK. Very, very little sleep for Dad........ Is there anyone out there that's been through this? Any words of wisdom?

I'm numb with fear......................
  2. I used to have seizures all the time as a kid. I don't remember 'em, though...

Just take her (your daughter) to a neurologist. That's what my mom did. They'll probably give you some medication that will help.
    Let her get lots of sleep. My seizures were usually brought on by lack of sleep. To this day I still need to go to bed at 9 because of it. However I can stay up till 11 at a party once in a while now, but my seizures are basically gone.

My seizures al happenedl at night, but your daughter's was in school (during the day) so it might be onset by something else.

My mom said that there was a distinct sound I made in my sleep before I had a seizure. She said it was like a humming/growling noise. Kind of like before you sneeze. Instead of checking on your daughter evey time she makes a noise and losing all that sleep, try to recognize the noise (if she makes that noise).

3. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Thanks...... we have an appt with the neurologist Monday.
  4. Yeah, take her to a doctor to get some medication...a friend of mine takes something called "Lamictal" (I think thats how you spell it) and she hasn't had a seizure since I've known her, so the stuff must work :)
  5. I took Tegretol (Carbamezapine) for my seizures.
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    my cousin was getting seizures a little while ago, thankfully she hasnt had any for a while. they were triggered by some exuberant display of emotion, Ex - we were watching deer hunter, and the bit at the end where CW shoots himself triggered it. she saw a neurologist, the conclusion was that the seizures were stress related, in that she had way too much of it. me and my mom both knew that her parents put a ton of pressure on her, but her dad (my uncle) denies it. shes also in the middle of a tough time with her parents, but i wont get into that. long story short, too much pressure.

could it be stress related? you may be putting alot of pressure on her without even realizing it. once my cousin started taking it easy the seizures went away, maybe this is the remedy for your daughter as well.

just my insight, im sure a doctor would be much more helpful.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've known lots of people who live with seizures, they just take meds for them. They're totally fine. I know it'd pretty freaky to have your kid have one, but she'll be fine I'm sure.
  8. Yeah, I don't know what dangers there are in having seizures, anyway. You can't die or get permanent injuries from a seizure, eh?

My mom told me the story of the first time I had a seizure. She said she was spazzing and called 911 and didn't know what to do, but before the ambulances came, my seizure ended, and I was fine.

don't wouldn't worry yourself to death about it (even though I know you will because it's your child. I know I would be like that if it was my kid.)

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    There are probably hundreds of different types of seizures and Grand Mal seizures (not necessarily the type Fo' Shizzle's daughter had) can very much be life-threatening.

Neurologist consult is the right call. Keep that appointment... Hope all is well!