1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sekova '60s Beatle bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just bought a '60s Sekova Beatle bass w/ no electronics or bridge. The rest is in decent shape. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive source for the bridge saddle? All it is is a piece of wood w/ 4 grooves and 4 pieces of fretwire. Thanks, Jon

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Pics would help - but there are always "Beatle Bass" floating bridges on Ebay and on the web. Googling for "violin bass bridge" will yield some prospects.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  4. Hi Jon.

Wow, the exchange rate sure isn't to Your favour here.

In Europe those kind of bridges start at ~20€, 33€ for the "genuine" Höfner part.

A word of warning though:
    IIRC the Segovia has a different neck angle and top curvature than the original, so the tallest Höfner bridge may not fit without a lot of lowering.
    Based on a memory from a few decades back, so I may be off as well :).

Is DIY an option?
    It won't be cheaper, but it sure is easy to make using Gibson style thin post TOM bridge adjusters.

Regards
    Sam

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks. Yes DIY is an option, especially because I don't need the posts and height adjusters. I just need the saddle part. I used to have a Rogue Beatle bass, so I'm familiar w/ the design, it's just a piece of wood w/ 4 grooves and a piece of fret wire for each saddle. I guess I should start shopping for small quantities of fret wire...