1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sekova Guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChopperDave, Jun 10, 2014.

1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I recently picked up (for probably too much $) a Sekova 6-string hollow-body. It's a Gibson ES-335 knockoff. Does anyone know anything about these? I'm not really curious about value, since I plan on just playing it as my main guitar, but information on the web is very sparse. I know this much:

• It's MIJ from 1976, likely made at the same factory as Teiscos and whatnot (Fuji-Gen or Matsumoko?)
    • It needs work (high action, iffy input jack and pickup selector)
    • Brad Paisley has one--I know this because there's that little info on the web ...
    It sounded pretty darn good through my mediocre Marshall Amp and Tubescreamer clone, and once I get some proper strings on there (they're really light right now), shim the neck, and take care of some of the gremlins, this should be a pretty sweet git.

What I don't know:
    • How are these things regarded in the realm of MIJs from the 70s?
    • Is this technically a "lawsuit" guitar?

Attached Files:

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Sekova was an import brand owned by U.S. Musical Merchandise in NY. As web wisdom has it, Sekovas were probably built by Teisco, then from 1967 by Kawai-Teisco and from 1972 by Matsumoku. Acoustics were built in Brazil. The brand doesn't seem to have made it into the '80s. - I once found a brief reference to one Peter Sekova, said to have been a guitar designer who immigrated from Sweden. I speculate he may have been the guy responsible for the specs, the design of certain features such as the headstock, and (not least) supplying the importer with the brand name. But there's no real proof of that, regrettably.

The only guitars that were technically "lawsuit" were Ibanez models featuring the "open book" headstock identified with Gibson. Over this, Norlin Corp. served Hoshino USA with a suit in 1977 (settled out of court). But the term has become diluted, and owners/sellers will apply it to just about any late '70s Japanese copy of an American model for cheap thrills and gratification, as if there'd been some kind of mass litigation.

Nothing too wrong with light gauge guitar strings, btw - Billy Gibbons uses a .007 high E, and he's Mr. Tone.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have one of these, in all white.
    DSCN3054. , inherited from my late Grandfather. I know even less about the brand, so I appreciate the info!

4. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    That's really helpful, thanks!

Interesting ... The headstock is definitely "open book" style, but from what I can gather online, there were a couple of versions of it, some with inlays, some without.

I'm not a fan, so that doesn't help the case :D. Anyway, I guess by "proper" I meant, "proper for me!" Plus I happened to watch a video on ES-335 setup, and the luthier seemed to have some specs that stated the string gauge on those should be 10 or heavier.

5. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    That's a nice one--pics of the all-white?

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Wow, my first bass was a Sekova.
    Certainly a budget bass, solid body.
    I was 13 and got it at a small local music store.
    That was in 1966. Wow.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sure thing!

Attached Files:

8. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Wow! That's gorgeous!

hover likes this.
  9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah bro, she's a peach. :)

10. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    A credit-card shim and truss tweak later, and the action is nice and low ... I really didn't think that was going to be possible ... electronics next.