1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selecting between basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jatz, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Jatz

Jatz

Jan 28, 2004
    I'm going to buy a bass, and have narrowed it down to a few models. They are:

Epiphone EB-3
    Ibanez BTB300
    Ibanez SRX500
    Schecter Deluxe 4
    Yamaha RBX760

They are all similar in price (around $900 AUS) and I'd like it to play a variety of styles. I'll be probably running them through a 30 watt amp.

2. Personally, I think the BTB is much better than the SRX. I guess it's a matter of preference, but the BTB feels more like a high-end bass than the SRX. I'd say that's your best bet, but I haven't tried the Schecter or Epiphone.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Out of those I would recommend the Yamaha or the Ibanez SRX500. The Schector is nice but I prefer the other two. No experience with the others listed.

Dan

4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Severe GAS problems. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    last schecter I played was a neck through (i believe) with a nice looking cherry burst...the tone was nice and snappy, had nice clean punch to it, but the E-string was a bit soft IMO. The first thing I look at on a bass is how well the E-string can punch. I don't need it boomy, but it has to be sufficient, and with the schecter, it seemed like I had to max out the low control to get a decent low-end sound from it.

5. Hey Jatz where is Australia you from?

If you from Melbourne check out Billy Hydes in Blackburn and ask for Rob...he helped me when i was looking.

I had about the same budget as you do and i got the Spector Performance Series 4...it only cost $700 but dont let the price make you think its not good. The other bass i was really impressed with was the Yamaha BB604...has a good preamp lots of versatility..

If you wanna no more about the Spector let me know