Selecting between basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jatz, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Jatz

Jan 28, 2004
    I'm going to buy a bass, and have narrowed it down to a few models. They are:

Epiphone EB-3
    Ibanez BTB300
    Ibanez SRX500
    Schecter Deluxe 4
    Yamaha RBX760

They are all similar in price (around $900 AUS) and I'd like it to play a variety of styles. I'll be probably running them through a 30 watt amp.
  2. Personally, I think the BTB is much better than the SRX. I guess it's a matter of preference, but the BTB feels more like a high-end bass than the SRX. I'd say that's your best bet, but I haven't tried the Schecter or Epiphone.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Out of those I would recommend the Yamaha or the Ibanez SRX500. The Schector is nice but I prefer the other two. No experience with the others listed.

4. last schecter I played was a neck through (i believe) with a nice looking cherry burst...the tone was nice and snappy, had nice clean punch to it, but the E-string was a bit soft IMO. The first thing I look at on a bass is how well the E-string can punch. I don't need it boomy, but it has to be sufficient, and with the schecter, it seemed like I had to max out the low control to get a decent low-end sound from it.
  5. Hey Jatz where is Australia you from?

If you from Melbourne check out Billy Hydes in Blackburn and ask for Rob...he helped me when i was looking.

I had about the same budget as you do and i got the Spector Performance Series only cost $700 but dont let the price make you think its not good. The other bass i was really impressed with was the Yamaha BB604...has a good preamp lots of versatility..

If you wanna no more about the Spector let me know