Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selecting cabinets help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GoneFarAway, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Greetings,

I've been lurking for a while and just registered, so this is my first post...

Anyway, my old amp setup is no longer adequate. I was going to buy a head and some cabinets, but one of my relatives had a spare Fender Bassman 400 head, so she gave it to me for free.

I've done searches on this forum and read the FAQs looking for advice on buying cabs, but the variations in tone/price range/combinations is pretty confusing since I've never had to buy this stuff before.

I'm looking to spend around $900 max, and I'd much prefer to buy used. Tone-wise, I really like Dirk Lance(ex-Incubus bassist). I did some searching and found out he uses Edens.

I was looking at an Eden 4x10 XLT; MusiciansFriend lists it as "4X10XLT Speaker Cabinet with Tweeter" Does this mean I'd need to buy a separate cab for horn? I know I shouldn't use that type of cab anyway as it's 8 ohms and I'd need two cabs (the Bassman is 4 ohms), but I'd like to know anyway for the future.

The Bassman 400 has 350W output and 4 ohms. Anyone have any suggestions for cabs at that price range?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    It is PERFECTLY fine to use 8ohm cab with 4ohm amp. in fact MOST amps can handle 4ohms and UP! the problem comes when an amp says 4ohms MINIMUM LOAD and you have two 4ohm cabs (2 4ohms = 2ohms) when the ohms gets too low the amp puts out too much amperage/current and will overheat or blow a fuse.

its safer to stick with 8ohm cabs IN MY HONEST OPINION.

getting the total load of the cabs to be close to minimum will maximize volume of amp, but I think volume difference is not as noticable as some may think.

3. Welcome to TB! You'll get a lot of different relpies to this. I would suggest taking that Fender and your bass to some of the music stores in your area and trying it out a with a number of different cabinets.

If you're dead set on Eden that Fender is going to be a little under powered to push a 410XLT to moderate volumes. You might check into a 210XLT. It is considered to be an excellent stand alone cab.

As far as the tweeter thing goes; Most modern bass cabinets are of a "Two Way" design. They have tweeters in them (with an internal cross-over) that you can turn off, on, up, or down depending on your preference.

Hope this helps.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey GoneFarAway...welcome to TB. I am from Altoona, went to PSU like the rest of my family. :)

I have just purchased an Eden 410XLT, but I do not have a head good enough to power it. You will definitely need more power for it. I was told that I should run at least 500 watts into the Eden to hear what it can do. Someone else may tell you different though.

The 210XLT would be a good match for that Fender. You will have no problem buying a used 210 for way under $900.

-Mike

5. Thanks for the replies!

Mcrelly: I was thinking the same thing, if only because ideally I won't have that head for long. I was thinking something nice at 8 ohms would be better long-term investment to use once I get a better head.

guyplaysbass: I'd love to, but there's not much selection in bass equipment where I live in the summer, or at school. PSU is a pretty big place with some decent music shop, but the bass gear is definitely lacking.

MJ: Good to see another Lion! I'm going into my senior year, trying to stay for that 5th year so I can get another years worth of student seating and partying in :)

I'm actually from Johnstown, so I'm pretty close to where you live. I'll check around for the 2x10. I've played through some Edens before, and I really like them. I'd like to try that specific model of course, but I doubt I'd be unhappy with it.

6. GFA-

I think an 8 ohm 210XLT would be a great start and a good match for your amp. You hadn't mentioned up-grading your amplification which is why I steered you away from the 410. After upgrading to something more powerful you could add an 8ohm 115XLT to the mix and have a MONSTER set-up!!! Good luck!:bassist:

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lotta good options freind
    you are on the right track if you schlep your bass and rig to try out cabs
    one thing to consider is the used market - lotta great deals on swr, eden, etc as people scramble to get things like bergantino and epifani
    i also vote you try out bagend stuff - mighty nice