Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

selecting new speaker cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i have been using some Mesa RR's (4x10 + 1x15) for a short time now and planned using them on a future tour. tour aint gonna happen. im stuck with some ridiculously heavy cabs in my room that i just dont need and probably wont in the near future. i am still playing many local gigs around here but these RR's are just too much to handle by myself. here is what i am looking for:

-fairly lightweight
    -kinda close to the mesa sound (im not sure how to describe it, i guess "thick" would be a good word?)
    -durable (i tend to knock things around alot)
    -...i would prefer something that isnt covered in carpet...
    -i like 10's and 15's, not crazy about that 12 setup
    -NOT AMPEG

i play mostly medium sized venues and the occasional school sized auditorium, would i be able to get by with a 2x10 or should i go all out and get a 4x10 with my 1x15?

i use a stingray and a flea bass and i am thinking about trading my Mesa M2000 for a GK 1001RB

help!

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Fender cabs maybe? They're pretty lightweight and sound pretty good. Also, there's always Avatar.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alot of guys will suggest two 210's for ultimate portability, and it is a good idea. That way you'll be loud enough for the bigger stuff, and then you only have to pack around one of the 210's for your smaller gigs.

However, I would get one good quality 410. Since you don't want carpet, or weight, I can not suggest to you the 410XLT from Eden. That's too bad as you would seldom find yourself lacking in volume, and excellent tone with one of them.

-Mike

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I know you said you wern't into 12s, but the Avatar B212 is a fantastic stand alone cab. Cheap, light, and it fits in the back of my jetta.

If you just can't warm up to the idea of 12s, the Genz-Benz 410 (with the 4 rear ports) is a great 410!

I can't recommend a 15 cause I havent found one I like.

Good Luck.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thakns for the suggestions, here is what i am considering so far:

-newer mesa cabs, but i can't find out how much they weigh?
    -SWR
    -GK

still not really sure though.

6. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    What about the Dr. Bass cabs?

Have you looked at them? These guys are incredibly responsive and seem to know what's going on!

www.drbasscabs.com

Skin

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    if i recall i havent heard really great things about them

8. I have heard some really nice things about them. I've been researching them intently for a while now for a friend who's on a budget. Their new 3 way UL cabs look pretty good on paper and according to the company owner (Marc) they sound pretty sweet too. If you're on a budget and looking for something of decent quality (Avatar, etc...) I would think Dr. Bass cabs should be a serious consideration. E-mail Marc through the website and ask for his new product line-up.

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I just checked out the website and I am actually interested in these. Their "airhead rackspaces" above the speakers look very cool and convenient. I am going to shoot an email his way. If anyone else has heard any things about Dr. Bass and how they sound and hold up please share.

10. Here's the skinny on the new 3 way UL cabs from the brochure he sent me via e-mail-

BL 1260 300 watt 3-way cabinet $399.00
    1x12 Neodymium woofer, 6” mid range w/compression horn
    3-way X-over w/HF level control
    35HZ to 20kHZ 102 dB
    8 ohms
    15.5”h x 20.25”w x 15”d
    Ultra light made out of ½” 9 ply Baltic Birch
    Available with 2u rack space, add $25.00
    33 lbs.

BL 1080 300 watt 3-way cabinet $379.00
    1x10” Neodymium woofer, 8” mid range w/compression horn
    3-way X-over w/HF level control
    30HZ to 20kHZ 102 dB
    8 ohms
    15.5”h x 20.25”w x 15”d
    Ultra light made out of ½”9 ply Baltic Birch
    Available with 2u rack space, add $25.00
    31 lbs.

He e-mailed me a pic of each cab but I can't figure out how to copy it (it's not a jpeg or recognizable attatchment). I'll see if I can figure it out.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you would like the massive lows from the Acme cabs if you are into Mesa. You may want to look into them.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why take a chance on Dr. Bass cabs when you already know Avatars work great?

-Mike

13. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    The pdf I got shows the BL1080 as
    45hz - 20khz 100db

Still, they look pretty good. At their prices I may have to try them out.

dunc

14. Because there are options my friend, options! Evidently folks have been "taking the chance" with Avatar for some time. That doesn't mean another company can't make a comprable product. The specs listed for his cabs are one reason I've been looking at them. Avatar cabs don't go as low as the specs listed on the Dr. Bass cabs. I'm not saying one is better then the other, just different.

OPTIONS!!!
    :hyper:

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    What about switching the RR cabs for the powerhouse cabs? I just picked up the 2X10 and 1X15 powerhouse cabs and they were pretty easy to get around. Plus, they sounded goooooooooooooood with my SM-500!

16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    the thing is, i don't know if either of these cabs work and sound great because i've never played them in person. that's why i am slightly hesitant. if the newer mesa cabs weigh significantly less than the older ones than i might just spring for those because i know they are built well and sound great, but i dunno, so many choices...

17. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    would you mind telling me how much they weigh?

:help: