Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selecting recordings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBMS, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    :help: I posted this inquiry in the instruction section, but so far, no one has responded. :crying: I would very much like someone's input regarding popular recordings. :bassist: I walk in Sam Goody's in hope of finding something, but I'm not familiar with the kazillion groups on the racks. I'm trying to keep my personal expenses at a minimum (I've got Motown Bass Classics and several books w/CD coming in the mail). The first item I'm planning to cover in my new class is scales, left hand exercises, and walking bass lines. I would greatly appreciate song and artist suggestions from you. Thanks in advance! Mark

I teach middle school, and will start a bass class this week. I have several books to use, and one that describes walking bass patterns, but I would like to play examples of popular (60's until now) that are basically the same. Here are (I hope I did it right!) the shortened patterns:

G _ _ _ _ _ _ 2 5 2 _ _ _ _ _ _
    D _ _ 2 5 2 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    A _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2 5 _ 3 _
    E _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3 _ _ 3 _ _

G _ _ _ _ _ _ 5 3 _ _ _ 7 5 _ _ _5 3 _ _ _ _
    D _ _ 5 3 _ _ _ _ 5 _ _ _ _ 7 _ _ __5 _ 5 3 _
    A _ _ _ _ 5 3 _ _ _ _ 5 _ _ _ _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ _5 _
    E _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3 _ _ 3 _ _ _3 _

The first is just a 1 -3 -5 of the chord, and the second is used often, but I am not knowledgeable of popular songs or groups; I played in orchestras all this time. I would like to say, "Here's a tab and recording of 3 Doors Down or a System of a Down, or something like that, that uses this basic pattern with embellishments."

Suggestions?
    Thanks! Mark

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mark, we can't allow crossposting like this so I'm closing this down.

I usually don't do this, but here and here are links to your questions in the correct forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.