1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selecting Second New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Truckasaurus, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Truckasaurus

Truckasaurus

Apr 28, 2012
    Hey guys,

so my first bass that i'm currently using is a Squier
    Vintage Modified Precision Bass which was nice for a beginners guitars. Although, I want to try and upgrade.

Can you give me some recommendations for my second Bass Guitar?

I mainly play songs by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse and Jamiroquai.

Budget is £600 top

2. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    What's your budget?

And I'd look at the Sterling by Music Man line if you're looking for something not a Fender/Squier (mostly because whenever I think of Flea/RHCP I think of Stingrays...maybe that's a bad thing, haha).

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Perhaps you can try out some models with a Precision/Jazz pickup configuration. One might give you the necessary variety of tones and sound to cover a lot of bases (pun only slightly intended). ;) You can get a decent mid-range growl with the Jazz pickup added in while rolling it off should give a deeper/warmer P-bass sound you're familiar with.

There are tons of models with such a configuration across many brands. I have my preferences, but I won't say "This! This is the one you should get! No other!!". I'm just saying to try one or more out, if you can find any to try. Maybe it'll be a good fit.

4. vrussell

vrussell

Mar 5, 2012
    atlanta, GA
    I would have to say the best thing to do is to go to a Guitar store and play every bass they have untill you find "THE ONE" :bassist: from the music that you said you play I think a Jazz (warwick or Fender) or a Music Man would be good. Hope it helps

Thumbs up for jamiroquai :D

5. I have a SBMM Ray 34 and love it. It will get you 95% of the way to the classic Stingray sound for 50% of the price. If you can find one on the used market, so much the better.