Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Mar 8, 2006.

1. This is copied verbatim from the classified ads in International Musician, the Journal of the American Fed. of Musicians:

HEAVY METAL DRUMMER- Available for studio workfor Chicago area songwriters & bands, you supply the drums & pedals & I'll make it happen. I'm $10,000 (firm) an hour. Serious inquiries only. Call or email Steve P------- (708) xxx-xxxx & or Merry Christmas. Will also play for Greek Rock Bands.
  2. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I'll do it for $9,999.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    See, it just goes to show that there's always someone willing to undercut your price.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's gotta be a typo!
  5. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Wow, I'm a Greek musician and I don't know of any Greek rock bands, not in this country anyway!!
  6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Frat parties, woohoo!! :help:

Must have a nice set of air-drums at home.
  7. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    don't that Ray see that...

(imagine here one of those graphics of someone hiding behind sandbags, i don't know how to put one in..)
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I had the good fortune to do a couple of festival appearances with a singer who was using Bernard Purdie on drums. I think he told stories from the first rehearsal trhough the cab ride home from the airport.
    anyway, I heard a funny story about Bernard - apparently back in the day he was doing a studio date with some big rock star and he came into the studio and hung a banner behind his drums in the booth that said WORLD'S GREATEST DRUMMER. but it looked like something a kid would do for Arts and Crafts, all elmer's glue and sparkle glitter. everybody has a pretty good laugh when BP puts it up and, as soon as there's enough of a break in the proceedings that folks leave room, one of the cats decides he's going to mess with BP by turning the banner around backwards.

apparently this has not gone unplanned for, on the back the banner reads F**K YOU.
  9. NO! Don't say that. This was to be my career change. Are you telling me I went out and got all those tattoos and piercings for nothing?
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Pics, please...:bag:
  11. Very cool Marcus!!!!!!!:cool:
  12. That hilarious. In the Steely Dan DVD for AJA they relate a story where he puts up a banner on either side of his drums that read "You gone done it" " You gone hired the Hitmaker, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie"
  13. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

The question is, does Bernard Purdie even make $10,000/hr firm? I'm guessing no, and he probably has his own drums and pedals, to boot!!

I just realized, paying this guy for 8 hours of studio time would eat up an incredibly large percentage of your average heavy metal album's budget. Hmmm....
  14. No, but he should!