1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Self-oscillating doom

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    So I was experimenting with some pedals the other day when I realized that my DD-6 (and probably any other delay for that matter) can basically self oscillate so long as it has just a little noise in the signal. Makes some wicked cool noises (and I do mean noises), but it's hard to control in a musical way, what with the feedback control causing it to get monstrously loud very quickly. Has anyone had experience with controlling self-oscillating pedals in a musical way? Any and all thoughts/opinions would be welcome.

2. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I know what you mean. I borrowed one for a gig ones and
    just happened to turn the knobs so it started doing that! It was
    really cool as we hadn't started playing a song yet and were just
    noising about :smug: and then we all started on one of our really
    heavy hard-core-ish songs, and it was just immensely awesome!
    All thanks to the DD-6! :D

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I do it all the time with my Guyatone MD-3 and Boss DM-2. It's a great way to space yourself out and possibly damage your hearing. Try messing with the Rate control on your DD-6 when it goes into oscillation. You can get some crazy pitch shifting sounds. Have fun.

4. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's my favorite pastime! :p Thinking of buying a DD-6 and a
    Third Hand (an expression pedal you can connect to any pot on
    basically any pedal to let you change it's parameter with your foot)
    just to be able to do this easier live.

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    if i'm playing around with delay/flanger self-oscillation, i generally keep on hand on the feedback knob... when it gets real loud, i bring it back just a bit, then back up to max. with the other hand i tweak the other knobs and make the 'melodies.' the third hand pedal sounds pretty cool!

one time, with my locobox analog delay, i got it to continue self-oscillating at a constant volume with the feedback all the way up. it was pretty weird, actually. i was just making weird noises with it, and then it just kept repeating this... thing, without any volume change. i let it go on this pattern for a good half-hour. it was weird.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Did you have the Locobox in your effects loop or straight into the front end of your amp? Either way, that sounds pretty cool. Those old Locobox analog delays sound great........especially for the price nowadays.

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

straight in line.

i'm quite happy with the AD-01. it's one of the 80s models. i'd like to get my hands on some of those much cooler looking 70s ones (like the "echoes," "spaceship," "mysto-dysto," or "rotophase" pedals) at some point.

http://www.locobox.com

8. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    You got me all interested in that third hand pedal so I did a quick google to check it out. This is the first thing that came up. A review posted by an annonymous user on Harmony Central:

Does anyone on TB have any experience with the third hand? Too bad it seems to be so poorly constructed.:(

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    The ultimate in self-oscillation has to be the Catalinbread Teaser Stallion.