1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Self-quarantine plans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JeroB666, Mar 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Hearing the government's response to the coronavirus makes me think there is a good chance self-quarantine might be happening, so I've been thinking what I would do for two weeks at home.

Considering I still have lots of vacation, I'm thinking I would work from home for a week and take the other week as vacation to have a massive uninterrupted practice session, the kind I had when i first started and was eager to learn faster. I still have a couple of Janek Gwizdala's books I haven't touched and I'm still chipping away at some of Steve Bailey's So Low, Solo album transcription.

Anyone else have plans in case the figurative &#!% hits the fan?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm in a healthcare-related field. I'll go to work. My wife is a doctor in private practice. She'll go to work. My kids will likely spend a few days a week hanging out in her office doing crafts and streaming TV on the computer. I'll take off as much as I can and hang out with them at home (maybe go to the beach). But because of what we do, my wife and I will go to work as much as possible. And the girls (although a little bored, perhaps) will be fine.

My parents are both in their 70s and both have heart disease. I won't see them for weeks starting now (unless this completely blows over more quickly than anyone assumes it will right now). Hopefully, they'll sit tight in their yard as much as possible for a while. My mother hoards food so I think they'll survive staying home for a bit.

Short version: Whatever time I'm at home will be spent with my girls and dog. If the weather is good, we'll pack a lunch and head for the beach.

3. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Good call. My inlaws are in town for a couple months but thankfully they got their own apartment. They are in their late 70s so we wouldn't be seeing them for a while and they live close by to a supermarket that delivers food which works well for them.

fourteenstrings likes this.
  4. My plan? Stay home and play bass. :) I don't plan on getting sick if possible...

5. My husband, housemate and I all pretty much self-isolate, anyway. We're all retired or semi-retired. We stay at home and read, cook, practice, watch TV or play board games together unless there's a good reason to go out. That usually means a gig, or needing food or provisions. So we're used to it.

We do have musicians over for rehearsals and we do sometimes go elsewhere for rehearsals; housemate and I are in several projects together and both in other projects with other players; the ones we are in together rehearse here and the others we go elsewhere for. Husband's band rehearses here. So our musical activities are the main point of contact for bringing germs into our home.

I feel like our low-key lifestyle will work well for us in terms of the "flatten the curve" strategy being talked about. We would normally go out once a week or so to either have a meal out or maybe see a friend's band if we aren't playing somewhere ourselves, but that's going to have to stop for the foreseeable future. I expect many of our upcoming shows will be cancelled, but nothing has been so far. I have one this weekend that we're still planning for, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

6. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    We'll probably just hang out at home, re-string the bows, and stoke the fires under the oil cauldrons... :whistle:

OIP.S1GmXvRFFvd1uptNuGCOWAHaE9?w=274&h=178&c=7&o=5&dpr=2&pid=1.jpg

dfredman, lat, MCF and 78 others like this.
  7. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Make sure you feed the crocs in the moat!

8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’m a teacher, so just waiting for the district to make the call. No working from home for me (preschoolers don’t do well with E-learning :laugh:) so it will be a stay-cation for us. Lots of family time, sitting in the back yard, crafting, tinkering, repairs, organizing.... and yes- practice! Maybe my wife will finally learn to use her sewing machine...

So far no gigs cancelled. Got one 3/20. I’m going to a jam tonight. 2 rehearsals next week, and mentally preparing to cancel. The rest of the band doesn’t seem worried- I hate to be the one to call it off, but I don’t want to be stupid and encourage any unnecessary risk.

9. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Every time you come in your house - wash your hands!!
    Wipe down your counters.
    Wear clean clothes and use clean towels.

I'm about to call an airline and see what I can do about my trip next week to visit my parents (both over 70) and nice and nephew (both under 3).

If I get stuck at home, I've got a set list of about 80 songs for some gigs way down the road I need to work on. I've got lots of yard projects I can work on. Online classes I need to get done, etc... More than enough to keep me busy.

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I've built up a reasonable stock of supplies to last me for at least two weeks. If (read: when) the school district closes and I am out of work, I won't have any options. My wife works at a hospital, which will open as a crisis center. We won't be totally underwater, but things will not be pretty.

11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I work at a hospital; unless I personally get quarantined I'll be going to work.

12. I'm an IT guy at a state university. We just cancelled all face-to-face classes for the next 4 weeks. I'll still be going to work, but it will be a ghost town.

John

Mike Whitfield, 31HZ and JeroB666 like this.
  13. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    fun...
    1-huge-tree-covered-in-toilet-paper-amy-cicconi.jpg

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have half a mind to go out and get intentionally infected, and get the darn thing over with. I won't actually do that, but I do ponder that.

Anyway, I had back surgery 4 years ago - 3 weeks with orders to not lift anything more than 8 pounds (I smiled when the doctor said that - all my basses are under 8 pounds). I also ruptured my left quadriceps tendon a year and a half back - a strange hiking incident. I was at home for 6 weeks.

I'm in practice - I know what I'll do. I'll practice a lot.

Mike Whitfield and Winslow like this.
  15. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I have a few friends who thought of the same thing, similar to when we were kids and would go to chickenpox parties :laugh:.

Also ouch...

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I though we simply called that "school" back then.

17. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Seems like most universities are doing this. I bet you are gonna be busy with on-line class support.

18. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    I work in the events business. My calendar is suddenly very, very open for the rest of this month. We're going to do equipment and storage projects until the time I'm told to go into quarantine - which seems inevitable with 4 kids in 3 different schools and a wife who teaches at the university level. Then, I plan on writing and recording lots of songs in the basement. Maybe learn a new technique while I'm at it.

Mike Whitfield, Oddly and JeroB666 like this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm in the process of moving so my instruments are in storage. I'll download a load of sound fonts and VSTs to music writing, perhaps. I'll still have to work from my temporary accommodation, though.

JeroB666 likes this.
  20. I'm not worried about the Coronavirus. It's the overaction that's more likely to get me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021